Quality Auto Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was going to ask this in my windshield crack thread, but I separated it because I think it may be important to some and wanted it to be easier to search and find.

If you have an issue with your windshield, and it needs to be replaced, how do you verify that you have highest quality glass?

Ive heard that Safelite is poor quality, possibly thinner, possibly (perhaps mostly) Chinese made.

I understand you can find from the DOT code where it was made.

But what is the best way to determine if the glass youre buying is US or European made? Ive seen too many wavy, low quality Mexican and Chinese windshields to be willing to risk that. Plus I doubt they are any cheaper despite lower cost labor.

But Id hate to find out the location of manufacture when I show up at the glass shop...

What's the best way to get good glass? Even PGW has a regular and premium line... Not clear on the differences though. If premium is made in China, what's the point?

Is there a straightforward way to get glass from Sekurit Saint Gobain or another similar higher-end glass besides going to the dealer? Ive not seen much with them as an example, listed specifically anywhere. Yet that is the glass in my car (most of our cars as a matter of fact) now.

Thanks very much!

OEM is expensive and I don't think it's worth it,IMO.
It's nice having the OEM logo on the glass but at 2-3X+ the cost of aftermarket,tough decision.

Dont necessarily need the brand logo (dealer glass), but glass from the true OEM would be nice.

I boycott any chinese or mexican glass, that is the biggest issue in terms of being a non-starter. Ditto for any "generic" gasket materials. That one really is a dealer only part in terms of quality and fit, in my experience...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Dont necessarily need the brand logo (dealer glass), but glass from the true OEM would be nice.

I boycott any chinese or mexican glass, that is the biggest issue in terms of being a non-starter. Ditto for any "generic" gasket materials. That one really is a dealer only part in terms of quality and fit, in my experience...

If you're going to go through your insurance company,go oem.
I believe you're talking about glass for a BMW.If so,the oem glass will be super expensive.Actually any oem is expensive.
A '10 Camry oem windshield list for around $1K.A Camry hybrid acoustic around $1200.That's just the glass with no install labor.
I look at it as generic passes DOT regulations and it's ok to me.
I can't see going over $1K out of pocket for a windshield.
Now waves,distortion etc is another issue.
I've had 2-3 generic windshields over the years without any problems.

Same here.

We have had a couple of windshields replaced, one on a Chevy Tracker and one on a 86 Nissan Z car I used to own and both windshields were less than 250 bucks when replaced. The Tracker shield was less than 200!

Both windshields were free of any flaws as well.

Someone else asked this question recently and there was a thorough, definitive answer from someone previously in the industry. It would be worth searching for.

When it comes to glass. I always insist on OEM. Those factory emblems on the glass mean a lot to potential car buyers who are picky about what they buy. I lost two buyers with cash in hand because my BMW M3 did not have factory door glass on the driver side.

My BMW windshield was cracked by Advance when put on a wiper blade. They wanted to replace with a Safelight. After much discussion they replaced with an OE BMW windshield installed by an independent shop my BMW dealer uses. Safelight has a reputation of cheap, thin, poor fitting and optically distorted windshields.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
When it comes to glass. I always insist on OEM. Those factory emblems on the glass mean a lot to potential car buyers who are picky about what they buy. I lost two buyers with cash in hand because my BMW M3 did not have factory door glass on the driver side.

plus 1

When it comes to a machine like an M3, quality and OEM parts are a must have, especially windows, if they are not OEM people think it was in an accident.

I have had plenty of non oem glass replaced in my cars, the only way you could tell was the little marking in the corner mine always said Pilkington.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's me. Id never buy a car that didnt have OE (symbol on the glass) glass at all spots.

Originally Posted By: Brenden

When it comes to a machine like an M3, quality and OEM parts are a must have, especially windows, if they are not OEM people think it was in an accident.

I have had plenty of non oem glass replaced in my cars, the only way you could tell was the little marking in the corner mine always said Pilkington.

I've never used Safelite but have had two Pilkington windshields installed without any issues.
Last one in '05 so I don't know how Pilkington quality is today.

I have had great experience on my work vehicles using Fuyao (FY) Glass. Proper fit. Good optics. Decent road chip resistance and the price is low.

BTW check on some other "name" companies. Hardly any are still made here in the USA.

Fuyao

Apparantly glass has been standardized so everyone makes the same part # for a given app. Helpful, yet confusing.

It's possible the OE made/ordered enough service replacements for perceived demand... and either overshot, returning some OE spec ones to the supplier for them to try to sell, or is letting China pull the weight now.

My source: Auto glass trade mag in the waiting room of a glass shop.
lol.gif

The Safelite-installed windshield in our Fit took a few days to come in, so it was probably OEM. Couldn't tell they had been there except the hang tag on the rearview mirror.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The Safelite-installed windshield in our Fit took a few days to come in, so it was probably OEM. Couldn't tell they had been there except the hang tag on the rearview mirror.

What brand though? Safelite? Honda? Something else?

For all I know, even the OEM manufacturer may have different tiers of quality, so that the only way to get exact replacement glass may be from a dealer.

Since glass is a safety issue, I would want only exact OEM glass put back in the car if it was available, even if the only source is the dealer.

One of my Jags was out in a parking lot when a golf ball to baseball sized hailstorm blew through - most of the cars had all the glass busted out and were full of glass shards and water, but not the Jag, which was barely even dented.

There is a more than just optical quality to consider, I think.

We had Safelite actually install an OEM Carlite windshield on the old beater Quest we have. The Sienna has a Safelite windshield and it's nowhere as good as the OEM Asahi/AP Techniglass one. My car has a PPG/Viracon one I had All Star in Walnut Creek order for me. Most shops will install Chinese made FYG or XYG glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back