Mixing Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard good things about Chevron Supreme's ISO-SYN oils, so picked up a 5qt jug of 10w-30 while on vacation in Colorado.

I'm now 5k into the OCI, but finding myself needing a top-up quart in a couple thousand miles. I plan on running the oil to around 10K or beyond (per Blackstone's recommendation) and do a UOA.

Problem is, Chevron isn't available around here, only the 15w-40 heavy duty stuff. I want to keep the blend as close to "Chevron" as possible, so I can get an idea of the additives present in the oil when the UOA results come.

Is the 15w-40 stuff somewhat close? Or is there another oil that closely resembles Chevron Supreme?

The 15w40 is diesel oil, so the add packs won't be the same.

My suggestion is just to top it off with what ever dino you can find on sale and skip the UOA unless your going to do the same mix every time..

And next vacation pick up a couple cases
smile.gif

My local distributor charges $31.31 per case of 5W-30 syn oil. Iso-SYN is their trademark for Chevron additive technology..

Havoline is made by Chevron and reputed to be similar in make-up (at least it used to be).

Havoline DS used to be identical to the Chevron Supreme, but I don't think it is anymore. The newest Havoline bottles, however, have a Chevron logo right on the front, replacing the Texaco star that some of the older stock on the shelf still have.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
My local distributor charges $31.31 per case of 5W-30 syn oil. Iso-SYN is their trademark for Chevron additive technology..

It's not the additives, it's the base oil.

IMHO there are very few instances where using any quality 15W-40 HDEO to top-off any normal oil application will cause any problem to any engine. I seriously doubt a quart of HDEO would cause a problem mid-change in a M-series BMW that "requires" an esoteric & unavailable "10W-60 with Unobtanium"!

Why you would do an oil analysis instead of halving your 10K OCI is beyond me: are you having some kind of problem with your car?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
It's not the additives, it's the base oil.
Thank you for correcting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back