Renewable Lubricants, Inc. 10w30 HD 3900mi LS7 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Street driven like last time. Very similar except the copper is high (I heard it's an additive in this oil?), and the TBN and viscosity are fantastic.

RLIoilanalysisZ062.jpg

Last edited:
I have to down load it to Image shack and then upload it to BITOG . I do it so little each time I relearn the process.

Talk about a stout add pack!

That being said Edge did just as well and you can obtain that oil in most locales.

[edit]That being said, if I tracked this car I would be more comfortable with the RLI oil

Last edited:
I would want to validate the copper content of this lubricant with a VOA. That's a pretty high amount of copper if the oil doesn't contain a significant amount of copper to begin with.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I'm pretty sure that B S would know if copper was part of the RLI chemistry, I wonder why they didn't say anything?

Do they really see a lot of RLI UOAs? I have seen very few RLI UOAs that weren't through Dyson Analysis...

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I would want to validate the copper content of this lubricant with a VOA. That's a pretty high amount of copper if the oil doesn't contain a significant amount of copper to begin with.

All LSx engines shed a ton of copper for the first 30k or so. It's not unheard of to see triple digit levels of copper for quite a while. It's completely normal for these engines, and harmless to the engine. It's coming from the cam bearings, and always settles down as the engine gets more miles on it.

That being said, I just checked the UOA again and see that the previous report showed a very low level of copper, so it must be an additive in this oil.

The person that recommended this oil to me told me copper was an additive, and he showed me his report that showed even higher copper levels.

The only copper in the engine would be in the main, cam and rod bearings. If they are wearing, I'd assume lead would also be very high, which isn't.

The valve guides are iron.

Last edited:
Be careful when drawing conclusions about wear from these UOAs. Blackstone's number are derived from ICP spectroscopy, which is very accurate and good for assessing oil change intervals, but doesn't really tell you much about wear unless you have a long prior history with the same oil as a baseline.

Here's a message I received from someone who uses this oil regularly:

Hi Mark,

Copper is an anti-oxidant, and RLI usually has around 100 ppm, so your 82ppm is fine, maybe even low (could be [censored]'s equip didn't detect it all or calibration is different than what I'm used to seeing, and they vary the ppm with viscosity & blend) and no, the copper is not abrasive in the way they're thinking. Most labs that don't know about RLI freak out a bit when they see the copper, as hardly anyone else uses it as an additive. The veg based bio-esters need a different chemistry to help stabilize them and this is one part of it.

Your engine looks like it's burning clean & doesn't appear to be abused or raced. The only item that's a bit high is silicon, which at 20k miles it shouldn't be sealers, so I'd make sure there's no air leaks in the PCV lines or air cleaner (unless you have dirt roads in your area). Maybe clean or replace the air filter element & make sure it's sealed when re-assembling.

Wear numbers all look very good to excellent (these LS7's always show a bit more iron than I'm used to compared to my German cars, but your bearing wear looks very low). I'd suspect running a 2cd oil change with this stuff will drop the numbers further as it flushes the rest of the old oil out of the engine & builds up a greater concentration of anti wear additives on the internal components. If the oil has been in for almost a year like the date on the UOA shows, I'd change it anyway, even though TBN is excellent.
--

The insolubles level is outstanding. It would be good to see a few more miles on this oil, so if you need help putting the miles on, just let me know.
smile.gif

I understand wanting to experiment with different oils, and I underastand the appeal of RLI oils - they are making a very high-quality, unique product.

However, you got almost identical results from Castrol Edge, which is much, much cheaper and easier to get than the RLI oil - RLI didn't really 'get' you anything here.

Definetly an interesting add-pack they use on that oil!

With shipping I paid $9.47/qt.

I agree that it didn't show a substantial improvement over the Edge (that would be nearly impossible since the Edge numbers were already very low). But even so, the wear numbers were down using the RLI (copper excepted).

The reason for experimenting is that some LS7's are experiencing excessive valve guide wear (iron), which has resulted in some catastrophic engine failures. No one knows exactly why, but there has been some speculation that the GM4718 spec oil isn't doing it's job in certain parts of the engine that see severe heat and stress. At least in Mobil 1 (most use this oil).

I think that the RLI starts to show it's advantage over Edge as the stress level increases in the engine. I don't normally beat on this engine, but when I do I like to think the oil is offering an added level of protection.

Nothing special here for the price...another case of "off the shelf" oils doing just as well (if not better. I'll stick with my SOPUS oils and pocket the price difference thank you very much.

"""The reason for experimenting is that some LS7's are experiencing excessive valve guide wear (iron), which has resulted in some catastrophic engine failures. No one knows exactly why, but there has been some speculation that the GM4718 spec oil isn't doing it's job in certain parts of the engine that see severe heat and stress. At least in Mobil 1 (most use this oil)."""

Ahhhh Mobil-1 and high iron wear. When will they learn O'Lawd, When will they learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back