Should I switch to synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone first time poster here, great site I'm happy I found it.
Ok here is the background, I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 44,000 miles original owner. I have changed the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months, it was always 3 months as most of my driving is city, NYC. I only use the car every other week, it sits for 7 days and then I use it around town for 7 days and a few long trips. Heading to Canada soon 900 miles RT. I have been getting the oil changed at a Nissan dealer with a coupon from 15.99 to 19.99 depending on what the special is that month.
My question, should I switch to synth? If I do what would be the advantages, cost, time, longer life of the engine?
I plan to keep the truck until she cant go anymore.
Thanks

For some reason, the 2003-2004 Pathfinder owner's manuals state to not use synthetic motor oil. You can use syn in your 2002 without issue, however.

I, too, would stick with conventional oil for your short OCIs. I wouldn't go past the 3750mi severe service interval though, as our VQ35DE engines are hard on oil and shear quickly what I've read.

WELCOME TO BITOG!!

Keep doing what you are doing! you are getting good deals.
Ask what your dealer uses (probably GTX Synblend) You could run on that at 3month intervals till the body rusts off.

I have tried all the Synthetics Grp III, IV & V, I am coming to the realization that a good conventional is the way to go for my driving habits and enjoyment of changing the oil early. I have no intentions of extended oil change intervals (OCI's). Sounds like you have a good thing going, keep it that way.

I would change oil according to severe schedule in the manual, it may call for x miles or y months whichever is first. Since your total mileage per year is less than 6k miles, I would change oil based on time which may be around 6 months and use whatever oil from dealer with discount coupon.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
With your driving pattern, I'd stick with what you're doing.

+1 dont change a thing

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Don't switch. Keep doing what you're doing.

I think you were hoping for a different answer, but as above, keep up the schedule--are they changing the filter at that price?

You have a nine year old vehicle with only 44K.
My 85 year old mother drives more than that.
Her 2003 Accord is approaching 60K.
Engine wear won't be what kills this thing.
Keep doing as you have been.
In another nine years, come back and tell us how it's doing at 88K.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I'd use whatever you currently using RE: conventional oil.

Also: I'd extend the OCI to 5000kms if I were you.

Q.

3000 miles is about 4828 kms...

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
For some reason, the 2003-2004 Pathfinder owner's manuals state to not use synthetic motor oil.

I wonder why they don`t want synthetic used? Mine says "Your Nissan can use either mineral or synthetic motor oil,just do not mix the two together"

That's what mine says also.

Of course, I use DuraBlend, and it runs great.

Never could go by the rules
grin2.gif

jringo

Thanks for all the feedback, I have never received so many replies in such a short amount of time on any board let alone anything in life. I will keep on doing what I have been doing and stick with Dino oil.
I do get a new filter with the oil change from the dealer and have developed a good relationship with them. They let me in the service area and I can take a long hard look under the truck on the lift and check for "things".
I have a 90 year old grandmother that drives more than I do fdcg27.
Ok so now Im wondering about the drivetrain, tranny, transfer, and differentials? I change them every year with the recommended lube, should I stick with it or maybe make some changes?
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

For a few more bucks you can have the exceptional protection of synthetic oil and do it less often.

Originally Posted By: bammbritt
Ok so now Im wondering about the drivetrain, tranny, transfer, and differentials? I change them every year with the recommended lube, should I stick with it or maybe make some changes?

I'd change them every 2 years since you put so few miles on your Pathfinder; changing them yearly seems a little wasteful, since most of the fluids should still be in good condition. I'd recommend also changing engine coolant, brake fluid, power steering, and the cabin & fuel filters at least every two years as well. Air filter as required.

Check your message inbox, too - I sent you links to a couple Pathfinder forums I frequent and find invaluable, as well as a link for the factory service manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back