Hyundai sez no aftermarket filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the PC test won't show anything related to the flow of the P1. (But neither does the flow rate testing on one specific type of P1 filter say much, especially when not compared to anything else.) I just want to see what kind of PC I get with P1.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Come on,man! Save your money,your time,your aggravation,your warranty,swim downstream,like everybody else,and just use the warranty prescribed filter thru the warranty period.

This reminds me of a time when my brother-in-law told me I need to be like him and jump whenever my wife says "Jump!". I told him "I'm not built that way." Same answer here.
smile.gif

I've only got ~11,000 left on my warranty anyway, and there's no way my M1 filters are going to kill my engine.

The PC tests are kind of a life unto themselves... I am just curious how the filters will do. I know a year from now when I've posted results on RP, M1, Hyundai, and maybe P1, people will stick with their own preconceived notions, but that's fine.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: glum
I know the PC test won't show anything related to the flow of the P1. (But neither does the flow rate testing on one specific type of P1 filter say much, especially when not compared to anything else.)

The Flow vs. PSID test done on the PL14006 definitely gives a good representation of how the media flows in the PureOne. The PL14006 isn't a large filter either ... I'd say it's in the medium sized category. Any filter that can flow 12 gpm of hot oil and only produce 5 psid is a good flowing filter IMO. Most cars on the road might only flow 1/2 or 1/3 that volume at redline, so the psid would be even less, and well below the bypass setting.

Lol. The point is:It's best to comply with the Warrantor's requirements,should you have a claim.

Lol. The point is:It's best to comply with the Warrantor's requirements,should you have a claim.

Sorry but that's not the point. Hyundai has NOT issued a requirement that aftermarket oil filters be used. They can't without giving OEM filters away. It was a simple TSB addressing a noise coming from the engine under certain circumstances; not a statement of warranty requirements.

I'm checking out of this thread so any more replies directed at me will not be read...

Have to agree with FZ1 on this, especially since the oem filter only costs $6 at the dealer. The oem filter is built at least as well, better in my opinion, as the non-oem filters and cost is nearly the same. Maybe you can get a Supertech for a couple of $ less but does $2 really make that much difference?

This has been the case for years. It isn't new. I read this back when I bought my wife's Santa Fe in 2005. I bought a case of OEM filters online for pretty cheap. I think around $5/filter. The really do seem to be good filters, and just as cheap when purchased in bulk. I did the same for my Toyota. Bought bulk online for about the price of buying an after-market locally.

Thanks. H seems picky on their warranty,and 10/100 is valuable, so why nit pick with them re another filter? It won't make any difference,vs. the oem. Save your bullets for real issues. Life goes better,that way. JMO.

Worked for a used car dealer for quite a few years. Had many Hyundais come through the shop. Boss would tell the customers that the engine is only knocking because it is cold and it will go away when it warms up. How many people buying a used car for top dollar want to hear that? We used Napa brand oil and filters which is not a bad thing and worked just fine for many different vehicles. I guess for some reason the Hyundais did not like the filter. We got a Tiburon traded in that sounded like a Powerstroke in the morning for about 15 minutes till it warmed up. My boss of course was not interested in getting an OEM filter because every cent counts at a car dealer. Well the one that got traded in had clean oil in it and sounded awful. I told him that I had read about a TSB on filters and he should get an OEM filter for it and we will see if that shuts up the noise. He said he will get one but he can bet money that it will make no difference. Well next day he was with me when I put it on the lift and swapped just the filter out using the unknown oil that was in it and the engine was silent after starting up. After that he made sure to keep OEM Hyundai oil filters in stock in case we needed to service one or got a trade. Had some issues with some Suzukis that were resolved with the OEM filter as well. The Hyundai filter is quite heavy compared to the Napa brand equivalent and has a nice plastic cover on the open end to keep any dust from getting in there before it is used. Only about 6 or 7 bucks each IIRC.

Originally Posted By: glum
Another dirty little secret: Hyundai dealers don't necessarily use OEM filters. They'll sometimes use aftermarket if it's cheaper and/or more readily available. I have seen this with air filters, so why not with oil filters?

My Aunt was visiting from Florida last year, and asked me to change the oil in her '08 Tucson.
It had a Powerflo filter on it, and I asked where she had the oil changed. She said it has always been changed at the Hyundai dealer that sold it to her new. I was suprised to see that they had used an aftermarket filter at the dealership.
Not a bad filter, but I didn't expect that.
I ended up filling with Castrol GTX 5w30, and a Purolator Classic filter.

The way I read this TSB is that Hyundai is not saying you can't use an aftermarket filter. They are saying if the customer is complaining of a knock that the first thing the mechanic should check is an aftermarket filter which may be restricting oil flow and causing the knock. Check the simple thing first.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
The way I read this TSB is that Hyundai is not saying you can't use an aftermarket filter. They are saying if the customer is complaining of a knock that the first thing the mechanic should check is an aftermarket filter which may be restricting oil flow and causing the knock. Check the simple thing first.
Correct. I'm willing to bet most of those knocking filters had poorly aligned adbv

I have used non-hyundai filters on my oil changes for my 09 Sonata and I have noticed an increase noise if you use the cheaper filter lines. However I have had a couple at the delaer and a couple with premium filters and the noise is better. My point is that you get what you pay for and this is no exception. Be mad at Hyundai all you want but the price for a filter there is not much more if at all then a good filter from a store. I intend to keep my Sonata running a long time and therfore Ill spend a little extra instead of replacing a car at 100k becuase I was too stubborn to use a good filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back