Anyone ever used G-Oil 5W-30 in a Small Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a newer Exmark Lazer Z Advantage Series with the Kohler Command 23 HP engine. What does everyone thing about running G-Oil 5W-30 in this engine? Has anyone here ever run G-Oil in a small engine before? I change my oil in my Exmark once every fall before going into storage.

I would follow Kohler's recommendation: http://www.kohlerengines.com/maintenance/faqs.htm

and use 10W30. I also prefer to use an HDEO oil because that's what the Kohler brand oil is, but I am just peculiar that way.

I wonder if the G oil outdoor oil is any different than their automotive oil. You should write them and ask.....educational for all of us.

I put around 50-60 hours a year on it so not very much. I've never found their outdoor oil in any stores yet. More than likely I will probably use Rotella T5 10W-30 as it can be found for a reasonable price and I believe it would work well.

I spoke with the folks at Green Earth Technologies. Their automotive and outdoor oils are the same basic formulation. They are just aimed at different markets. They did not pay the licensing fees to the API to have their outdoor oils certified, so they can't recommend them for automotive use.

That said, I use their 30wt in my Van and it is doing just fine.

I'm sure your Kohler Command would do fine on any 30wt variant from that manufacturer, but I know I'd want a HDEO in a 40wt variety for the hot TN summers.

Joel

I ended up buying a gallon of Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 for my Kohler powered Exmark. I've read a lot of great things about it and it was only $16 for a gallon of it at Walmart. That will last me a couple of years.

I've been using Castrol synthetic 10-50 in a Briggs L head generator and a Honda mower for years. Cut oil consumption on the generator by a noticeable amount. Those older splash lube Briggs engines tend to weep oil that thins too much from a number of spots.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I personally would not use the 5W-30 in your application. I would use one of their outdoor oils.
G-Oil Outdoor

Does this imply they also make an indoor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back