SAM Site in MD and Civilian and Commercial Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/1997017/

I drove past this a few days ago and did a double take! I was initially in denial thinking it must be a static display. Regrettably, history has been dotted with "accidental shootdowns."

Granted that this in the National Capitol region and all of its sensitivities would a launch order be relegated to the President or some senior commander? My assumption is that this must be there if all other means such as radio communications and fighter intercepts fail.

I am just a bit concerned as DCA, IAD, and BWI have so much commercial traffic floating overhead. Vice versa this may be child plays to the elders here who remember nuclear armed Nike-Hercules installations dotting the country
smile.gif

Last edited:
That installation is the difference between a "No Fly Zone" designated by the FAA and one designated by the Pentagon.

AOPA says "Pilots are warned to be extremely vigilant near the Baltimore-D.C.-Capital area." No kidding!

No more disturbing to me then thousands of heavily armed troops stationed in the area (also necessary) and a much lesser threat to our personal liberties.

They probably should have installed it behind a real wall out of sight rather than out in the open behind just a chain link fence.

Last edited:
Long before 9-11, the White House and the Capitol building were the one "Prohibited Zone" in the United States, as compared to the "Restricted Zones" and other airspace control measures.

With any sensitive area, there are multiple layers of defense. F-15/16s are one of the layers, the SAMs another. The rules for engagement of a civilian target are very, very strict and involve fighter intercept first. Airline guys are very aware of Capitol region procedures to preclude any potential triggering of a military response. 9-11 complicated the procedure and added some elements (like this surface-launched AMRAAM) to the already existing layers of defense.

You guys just found out about it, so it seems "new" and scary...

But the defensive capability has been there for decades...it just was upgraded...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I enjoy my new found freedom to fly around the country, unrestricted.

NOT.

When I started flying in the 80s, the Capitol Region was a prohibited area. I am sure it was prohibited well before that...

And there were (and still are) a few places in Nevada where you don't want to fly...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I enjoy my new found freedom to fly around the country, unrestricted.

NOT.

When I started flying in the 80s, the Capitol Region was a prohibited area. I am sure it was prohibited well before that...

And there were (and still are) a few places in Nevada where you don't want to fly...

Oh, that 60 mile ADIZ is a huge step in the wrong direction, IMHO. Along with the stunning number of permanent and temporary TFR's. Some of which pop up with very little notice. 40 mile TFR's for rocket launches? So the people who live in Orlando on the ground are OK, but flying over Orlando is not OK during a launch? ABSURD.

Couple that with "mandatory" suspension of all certificates for even a minor violation and it seems we are well on our way to authoritarian rule.

By taking a step back and reviewing all the new regulations, it's become clear that restrictions are encroaching at an alarming pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back