chevy cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the steering wheel stays attached, I suppose they are a decent automobile.

To the OP: was your posting intended as a PM? It seems vague and generic.

I have a 2011 Cruze with 1100 miles on it.
It's a nice car and rides like a bigger car BUT so far my MPG has been nothing to write home about. The DIC claims 29 MPG but I'm calculating approx. 25 with the fill/drive/refill/calculate method. I have the 1.4T which is plenty peppy for me. The materials quality is far above previous GM small cars.
If the mileage rises to > 30 I'll be happy with it.

Hi.

It is impossible to determine the long term reliability of the car, because it is so new.

However, GM has a lot riding on the Cruze, so I do not expect them to churn out a sub-par product in the form of this vehicle.

1,100 miles, I'm not sure that counts as broken in. Hard to tell, it seems early. Car is probably not unlike others--mpg is determined largely by the driver.

With that little turbo engine, mileage is highly driver-dependent. Drive without using the turbo and get good mileage. Drive with the turbo spooled all the time and get terrible mileage.

The Eco turbo/6MT cars seem to be doing the best for fuel mileage, although some people have reported that the shift cables can come improperly adjusted.

I would expect them to do better, a full size RWD diesel Mercedes will get mid to high 20's around town and be into the 30's on the highway. If a Cruze can't do better than that than...

The problem with turbo gas engines is you need to stay off boost to get good mileage, if your on boost they will burn as much fuel as a larger motor.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I would expect them to do better, a full size RWD diesel Mercedes will get mid to high 20's around town and be into the 30's on the highway. If a Cruze can't do better than that than...

The problem with turbo gas engines is you need to stay off boost to get good mileage, if your on boost they will burn as much fuel as a larger motor.

The Merc also costs about $40k. The Cruze starts at less than half of that.

Agreed, it's a problem with most turbo gasoline engines. Supercharged ones, too. GM's supercharged V6 cars get great highway fuel mileage when folks stay off of the loud/go-fast pedal. They also get lousy city fuel mileage. One particularly modded Bonneville with a supercharged V6 gets 12 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.

I have 1,300 miles on my cruze, and it's doing well. I agree that gas mileage is definitely dependent on how you drive, once the turbo spools up watch the mileage drop. On the highway however, I can get 38-39 at 65 with a/c off. Not bad. Transmission takes some getting used to, and it doesn't shift smoothest until it's warmed up (not unusual). Interior is well designed, with high quality materials. Seats are comfortable, steering is sharp and perfectly weighted, Handling is athletic yet the ride is compliant on the highway. And it's quiet. My friend and I went to the local six flags yesterday and he commented on how quiet it was, it didn't feel like we were going as fast as we were. (75 that day, 32mpg with a/c on, and it was almost 100 degrees).

Can't ask much more for $20,900.

Thanks for the reply I really wanted to see if you were getting anywhere close to the EPA est. I guess it depends on the driver.

I haven't been driving my Cruze particularly hard (or soft).
I have had the A/C on because of the heat. It's hard to tell when the turbo is on or off.
I would think that trying to drive so that your turbo doesn't 'kick in' wouldn't be particularly good for turbo life?
In other words if the turbo isn't used enough it will probably fail earlier....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have had the A/C on because of the heat. It's hard to tell when the turbo is on or off.
I would think that trying to drive so that your turbo doesn't 'kick in' wouldn't be particularly good for turbo life?

Nope. If you can manage to drive off boost all the time (impossible, but you can minimize fuel consumption) but it won't affect turbo life at all. Also, when you hit the gas,and then it suddenly pulls hard, that is when the turbo has spooled. Anytime you are hard on the throttle, above ~1900RPM the turbo is on boost. Amount of throttle affects how much boost.

Last edited:
On my Jetta TDi, I bought a Scanguage to track mpg. One the X-gauges is set to boost. Perhaps the same can be added? I know it's not "real time" readout, but it's good enough to monitor boost (among other things).

Hard to say on the turbo. Most things like to be used, or they get rusty; some cars really do like regular Italian tune-ups. Personally, that's about the only upshot to tolls--romping on it as you leave 'em!

Cruze has a small enough engine that the turbo charger will be used quite often. As far as reliability goes, we will have to sit and wait, no other way to know it. Fortunately for us BITOG-ers we can count on members owning Cruze to report back with their feedback.

Keep us posted guys
thumbsup2.gif

The turbo spin whenever the engine is running.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The turbo spin whenever the engine is running.

I think also a small turbo engine should be more immune to carboning up than a bigger NA engine, even if its only grandma driving to chuch on sundays.

Do gasser's have the same gunking issues that VW TDi's do? Carbon buildup on VNT's and the like? I'd think it's a lower soot engine.

The Cruze has been on sale in Europe and Asia since 2009, and I've not heard a peep about reliability issues cropping up. FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back