Noisy Valve Train - Oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a Yukon XL Denali and 6.0 engine combo, it had a tick for years that never went away.
We put 16oz of Kreen in the oil and the tick disappeared in a minute or less and never came back.

It had a varnished lifter, this stuff washes varnish away almost on contact.
You could also just add a qt of MMO for one OCI to any oil you are using. It may help if varnish is an issue in a lifter.

Not saying your problem is the same but it doesn't hurt to explore all possibilities.

In Florida, especially in the summer, you don't have to worry about cold-weather flow. Use any 10W-40 or even 15W-40 HDEO and see if it helps.

Originally Posted By: geissjr
I am not the original owner, but I believe the truck was serviced well. My guess is the oil was changed between 3 and 5 thousand miles.

How many miles were on the vehicle when you purchased it, since you are not the original owner then your guess of when the OCI's were are just guesses, maybe just follow Trav's advice on either Kreen or MMO. JMO

2 weeks ago I had a neighbor with a 5.3 come to me with a ticking -definately sounds like valvetrain noise- I figured what the heck,--I added 8 oz of MMO and I'll be GD'd if the ticking didn't stop with 5 minutes-wish I had videoed it for YouTube

I have a 99 silverado with 250k on the odo. I had the same problem so I went to amsoil sso 0w-30. That helped a little then I discovered lubro-moly. Not only did it quiet down the valvetrain but I used to get 450 kms per 100 liter tank. By the 3rd tank I was getting 550 kms per tank. I am a believer.

Originally Posted By: 229
Unfortuneatly we have been seeing a lot of cam and roller lifter problems with the LS engines.

confused2.gif

This is the first I'm hearing about any "problem", or do you mean just valvetrain/lifter noise/ticks??

Now piston slap on the early LS1s, yes.
But obviously it can't be much of a "problem" (except for the annoyance of the sound), despite some of the haters/bashers on here claiming otherwise, when you have people with 300K+ miles on hard driven, un-rebuilt LS1s still running as strong as ever.
wink.gif

BTW; my brother's '06 LS2 C6 is DEAD QUIET, save for a VERY slight injector click, and exhaust noise from long tube headers.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
I would try valvoline high mileage 10/40 semi syn

+1 but the rattle @1200 sounds like piston slap. if thats the case it may never go away

i also agree with Trav, try some MMO or Kreen and see what happens

Is the rattle coming from the engine or does it sound like the catalytic converter making noise? I had a noise around 1,500 on my Tahoe and I thought it was the cats. Ended up being the metal washer on the back side of the rear 02 sensors rattling. I changed them out and the noise is gone.

Don't get my wrong, my 5.3 has valve train noise (143k miles), but most V8 chevy motors do. I'm trying M1 0w-40 right now, going to see if it quiets the motor down at all (changed oil on Sunday night).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: 229
Unfortuneatly we have been seeing a lot of cam and roller lifter problems with the LS engines.

confused2.gif

This is the first I'm hearing about any "problem", or do you mean just valvetrain/lifter noise/ticks??

Now piston slap on the early LS1s, yes.
But obviously it can't be much of a "problem" (except for the annoyance of the sound), despite some of the haters/bashers on here claiming otherwise, when you have people with 300K+ miles on hard driven, un-rebuilt LS1s still running as strong as ever.
wink.gif

BTW; my brother's '06 LS2 C6 is DEAD QUIET, save for a VERY slight injector click, and exhaust noise from long tube headers.
smile.gif

Mine started squeaking at 8K miles. I changed to an Dexos1 approved oil and it stopped. Your mechanic has most likely heard of the roller lifter problems.

Originally Posted By: KeithKman
Is the rattle coming from the engine or does it sound like the catalytic converter making noise? I had a noise around 1,500 on my Tahoe and I thought it was the cats. Ended up being the metal washer on the back side of the rear 02 sensors rattling. I changed them out and the noise is gone.

Don't get my wrong, my 5.3 has valve train noise (143k miles), but most V8 chevy motors do. I'm trying M1 0w-40 right now, going to see if it quiets the motor down at all (changed oil on Sunday night).

Good call. I will check this out to see. Thank you for the suggestion.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
I would try valvoline high mileage 10/40 semi syn

+1 but the rattle @1200 sounds like piston slap. if thats the case it may never go away

i also agree with Trav, try some MMO or Kreen and see what happens

Do I have to drain out some oil to try MMO or can I add a small amount of MMO and be slightly over the full line?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I have a 99 silverado with 250k on the odo. I had the same problem so I went to amsoil sso 0w-30. That helped a little then I discovered lubro-moly. Not only did it quiet down the valvetrain but I used to get 450 kms per 100 liter tank. By the 3rd tank I was getting 550 kms per tank. I am a believer.

What lubro-moly product did you discover and use?

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: Clevy

What lubro-moly product did you discover and use?

So which lubro-moly product did you discover and use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back