toyota ws transfluid for dexron vI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a toyota tech and can buy toyta ws cheap. my brother has a 2005 chevy silverado that calls for dexron VI transfluid . Do you guys think its interchangeable

NO. The Toyota WS fluid is vastly inferior to DEXRON-VI in a number of respects (published information presented at SAE in Chicago about three or four years ago).

Thank you very much indeed. I would not risk an expensive vehicle for the sake of a few dollar savings anyway. Techno curiosity got the best of me though. I also have an LX470 in service. Thank you again.

As I recall, SuperTech DexVI claims that you can use it for Toyota WS applications.

But you know how ATF manufacturers' claims can be. I mean Amsoil claims to work in everything under the sun... but who really believes THAT?

WS is a low visc fluid with a peculiar add pack. So, if you have a $100k vehicle, it may be prudent not to experiment. Red Line D6 claims to be 'suitable'. So is SuperTech, it does say 'recommended'. None is certified though.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Red Line D6 claims to be 'suitable'.

Not anymore. Last year Redline withdrew it's recommendation for D6 ATF as a replacement for Toyota WS. Now it recommends D4 ATF as a WS replacement. Which is strange, as D4 is definitely higher viscosity than WS.

Thank you for correcting me. I missed that totally. To me it tells to stick with the mfg in my case.

Quote:
None is certified though.

In the lubricant world, certified means that whomever is doing the certification is getting paid a fee and getting paid royalties for that service. Certification is means for OEM's to generate a income stream and get oil companies to pay them a royalty on oil sold to be on the list. Sure lists can be helpful to those who are looking for a product but to infer another brand might be inferior because its not on the list is ridiculous.

Also consider that these list tend to commoditize (generic products) the market and you end up with all lubes being very similar in features, built to a certain spec and no more.

Why would a company building a better product want to be on a list of lubes that are mediocre?

I understand their concern oils not meeting specs shouldn't be used in their vehicles. But when someone implies that another Oil is not as good as a brand oil on the list, that's not right.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Red Line D6 claims to be 'suitable'.

Not anymore. Last year Redline withdrew it's recommendation for D6 ATF as a replacement for Toyota WS. Now it recommends D4 ATF as a WS replacement. Which is strange, as D4 is definitely higher viscosity than WS.

I actually just put Redline D4 into my 2010 Toyota Corolla LE that calls for WS fluid. I was very happy with Redline D4 and I think higher viscosity is actually better - the tranny is less noisy than it was with WS and I did not see any decrease in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back