switching from 5W30 to 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont make fun of me for asking this guy`s
27.gif
,but supposedly I can use 5W20 oil in my RX according to the Toyota oil chart. My question is, would I be better off going to PYB 5W20, or Ultra/Mobil-1 5W20? It has 88k on it and no consumption,just thinking about trying it. Actually tig1 made me think about this because he did this years ago with good results.

What are you hoping to gain with this change?

What part of the country are you in? Part that is in the current heatwave?

Last edited:
The question is... Why? Are you trying to squeeze out an extra 0.2 mpg outta the engine?

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
What are you hoping to gain with this change?

What part of the country are you in? Part that is in the current heatwave?

Ehhhh, yes.

Originally Posted By: Artem
The question is... Why? Are you trying to squeeze out an extra 0.2 mpg outta the engine?

Mostly because I hear good results from people that have done this.

The results being.... what? more engine valve-train noise?
grin2.gif

hahaha,yeah I know right? Maybe I`ll try it and let ya all know.
grin.gif
Actually,I heard good results from the Toyota 0W20 oil.

Last edited:
grin2.gif

Don't knock it. I switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 to obtain that valvetrain noise. This way, I always know my engine is running. One time, while using 5W-30, I accidentally tried starting my engine when it was already running. I hate the sound the starter makes when that happens! Now, I can't make that mistake again.

Relax, I'm joking.

Go for it! Its your car.

Knowing me,I`ll probably have a weaker right foot in this crazy hot weather!

Try it you might like it. I switched my Aerostar with a heck of a lot more miles than that and was pleased. Now that my oil pan is leaking I've been using whatever I have on hand that was cheap, including mixing and matching different brands and grades.

I'm thinking the same for our '08 Yaris sedan for use during the colder days / nights of late fall , winter , and early spring . Temps drop into the single digits . Picked up some SHELL synthetic 5w-20 ( SN/GF-5 ) for $4 a quart . The current fill is SHELL synthetic 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 )for the heat of late spring , summer , and fall .

I'd be up for it during a winter run but a 0w30 would still make more sense to me then the 20 grade.

Originally Posted By: odie
I'm thinking the same for our '08 Yaris sedan for use during the colder days / nights of late fall , winter , and early spring . Temps drop into the single digits . Picked up some SHELL synthetic 5w-20 ( SN/GF-5 ) for $4 a quart . The current fill is SHELL synthetic 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 )for the heat of late spring , summer , and fall .

The thing is,and mentioned on here before by me and other`s. Is most 5W30`s shear to a 5W20 anyway. So theoretically it should be fine?

If the Shell 5w-20 syn is used , I'll likely get an U.O.A. for it in the spring of '12 .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114

The thing is,and mentioned on here before by me and other`s. Is most 5W30`s shear to a 5W20 anyway. So theoretically it should be fine?

But what about the 5w20 shearing into the 10 grade territory in an engine rated for 30 weight?
33.gif

Most 30s shear into the high 20s.
An already mid - low 20 grade will become even thinner.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

But what about the 5w20 shearing into the 10 grade territory in an engine rated for 30 weight?
33.gif

Most 30s shear into the high 20s.
An already mid - low 20 grade will become even thinner.

Because supposedly, the 5W20 is more shear stable.

Originally Posted By: odie
If the Shell 5w-20 syn is used , I'll likely get an U.O.A. for it in the spring of '12 .

Thank`s, I would like to see that.

Originally Posted By: glum
grin2.gif

Don't knock it. I switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 to obtain that valvetrain noise. This way, I always know my engine is running. One time, while using 5W-30, I accidentally tried starting my engine when it was already running. I hate the sound the starter makes when that happens! Now, I can't make that mistake again.

Relax, I'm joking.

Personally, I like the increased engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back