2011 Nissan Versa Spark Plugs Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone know the procedures and steps into changing the iridium equipped spark plugs on a 2011 Nissan Versa. I've read and heard that you have to drain the coolant, take off the intake manifold, and use a special socket to access the plugs? Can someone explain the entire process so I can perform this procedure on my own someday? Thanks !

Thanks Drew99GT for the help. I agree with you about the Nissan 1.8 engine being a stupid design for changing spark plugs. Based on the pictures and illustrations, I don't think I would be comfortable doing this job on my own at all. Do you know what a typical local Nissan dealer charge for this service and can a independent mechanic complete this job successfully with the right tools? Thanks !

Ouch! Ridiculous, though perhaps it forces all the right pm to be done at once.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Thanks Drew99GT for the help. I agree with you about the Nissan 1.8 engine being a stupid design for changing spark plugs. Based on the pictures and illustrations, I don't think I would be comfortable doing this job on my own at all. Do you know what a typical local Nissan dealer charge for this service and can a independent mechanic complete this job successfully with the right tools? Thanks !

Actually, since the intake is on the front side of the engine, if you're mechanically inclined, you might be able to do it.

I have no idea how much the cost for a dealer or independent shop to do it. Any competent tech could do this, it's a pretty easy job.

Pardon this question, but is there an issue with the car already? Iridium plugs are supposed to last quite a while, usually advertised as 100,000 miles. Have you already racked up a ton of miles on your '11?

Sorry, just curious.

And I thought the spark plugs by the firewall in a 2001 Venture were a pain in the [censored]. This one takes the cake.

The bright side of it is that everytime you change the plugs in the Versa, you can inspect it for possible sludge
whistle.gif

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a big deal to me compared to most small V6s. I see NO special spark plug tool, only a std spark plug socket.
I don't fret or complain about stuff until it is needed, which should be in about year 2020 with Iridium spark plugs.

No, my mother is looking into buying a 2011 Nissan Versa Hatchaback S with the 1.8 engine. I've reading and searching all the maintenance items to do on this car and for the most part everything seems pretty easy to do except for changing the spark plugs which is a nightmare based on what I've seen and read online.

It's not like the plugs get changed every year. I would plan on it being something like a 5-year service and the coolant needs to be changed anyway. Just plan ahead.

My BMW is not exactly easy. My 5.4 Ford work truck is worse from what I hear, not that I have to worry about it.

It might seem like a lot of work, but like most aspects of maintenance on modern cars, it happens far less often.

Thanks for all of the replies. I figured out the procedures and steps needed to complete the spark plugs replacement. This information will apply to the Nissan 1.4L, 1.6L and 1.8L I-4 engines.

1. Unbolt the plastic engine cover secured on top with two small bolts.

2. Remove the two plastic pins above the radiator that secure the air intake with a flathead driver.

3. Lift up air intake assembly and pull outward to remove.

4. Unscrew and lose the jubilee clips on the pipe attaching to throttle body assembly and remove the smaller hose as well.

5. Unclip the electrical connector located near the throttle body.

6. Remove the pipe and set aside near the air filter housing.

7. Unscrew the four bolts attached to the airflow management unit or throttle body.

8. Remove the assembly from the intake manifold and set aside.

9. Remove the five bolts attached to the intake manifold and please be careful and patient during this process to avoid losing bolts.

10. Remove the rubber hose from the back of the intake manifold located in the rear.

11. Remove the bolts from the bracket on the right side of the manifold.

12. Remove the gray bolt located where the airflow management unit is placed to release the intake manifold from the engine.

13. Slowly lift up the intake manifold and pull away toward you.

14. You will see four individual coils attached to each spark plug. Remove the bolt on each coil and pulled up and straight to remove the coil assembly. Make sure to memorize each individual coil location.

15. Use a deep 14mm socket and a long thin extension with ratchet to remove the iridium equipped spark plugs.

16. Install Nissan OEM Denso or NGK Iridium spark plugs and secure each individual coil with the bolt torqued to specifications. Hand-tightened spark plugs first and then torque 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn with ratchet. Replace the coil straight down and secured them with the bolt. No gapping is required on the spark plugs.

17. Reinstall the intake manifold back in place and torque all necessary bolts removed earlier to proper specifications. Reinstall the rubber hose located on the back of the intake manifold

18. Reinstall the airflow management unit with the four bolts removed earlier.

19. Reconnect the electrical connector and reinstall the pipe with the necessary clamps including the small rubber hose as well.

20. Reinstall the air intake assembly with the plastic pins secured above the radiator.

21. Reinstall the engine cover secured with two bolts on the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrhY-x5z8EU

I had to remove the intake manifold to do the plugs on my Maxima too.. Was not a bad job, but annoying when all you want to do is change spark plugs. The RWD V6 models are not as bad, the FWD VQ35 spark plug change is the only real pain as far as I know (for the V6 cars)

Had no idea the Versa had that design (I almost bought one too)

I bet the salesperson did not mention that ridiculous nonsense when selling the car!

But really, with a 2011 car, you should have years of trouble free performance from your spark plugs. 100k is easy.

But if you DO change them, forget the nonsense about NOT checking the gaps. Of course they need to be checked - that is why there is a spec for them! Use gentle care - that's all.

Nissan never recommend checking and gapping the spark plugs but there is a specifications in the owners manual that lists the gap at (0.43) (1.0 - 1.1mm). You just have to be careful not break off the iridium tip.

Nissan probably found thru engineering studies(data) that the plugs & intake manifold are placed there for maximum efficiency & power. I just looked at the HOW TO and it appears that anyone with some mechanical aptitude and some tools could do the spark plug change in a hour. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Nissan probably found thru engineering studies(data) that the plugs & intake manifold are placed there for maximum efficiency & power. I just looked at the HOW TO and it appears that anyone with some mechanical aptitude and some tools could do the spark plug change in a hour. Ed

Other manufacturers have managed to put the plugs and coils in locations that don't require removing the intake manifold to change. And they make plenty of power and are very efficient.

There'll be a generic equivalent to that socket by the time it's needed by most independent mechanics.

Probably you can stuff some heater hose in a regular 14mm socket, and a dab of glue to hold it together, and it'll grip those fancy plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back