Noisy Valve Train - Oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have 2002 GMC Denali pickup with a 6.0 engine. I expereince some noise at start up, but I also have noise @ about 1200-1300 RPM when the engine is warmed up. I have tried M1 5-30 and PP 5-30, but the noise is still present. The engine still runs strong, but I do not like hearing the engine noise. Do you think a 10-40 or high mileage oil would help eliminate the noise?

Both synthetics you have used are pretty thin. try a dino oil like castrol gtx or hm. I have found that larger g.m. products have beefy ,but sloppy valve trains. They like robust oil.Not necessarily heavier weight , but thicker.

when it come to something like this, Castrol German 0w30 quiet down the noise. many ls have this problem and this oil quiet it down.

Originally Posted By: geissjr
Is the noise something to worry about? How do I address the issue if it is causing problems?

Have you been getting metal on the oil drainplug magnet? They also have piston slap noise. The heads have to come off to replace the lifters. Since the replacement engines have a reasonable price and given your mileage I would probably just ride it out. If the mileage was less I would repair what you have and that may be an option for you, it just depends on how you feel about it and if you can get someone to do it for under say $1900.

I am not the original owner, but I believe the truck was serviced well. My guess is the oil was changed between 3 and 5 thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: 229
Originally Posted By: geissjr
Is the noise something to worry about? How do I address the issue if it is causing problems?

Have you been getting metal on the oil drainplug magnet? They also have piston slap noise. The heads have to come off to replace the lifters. Since the replacement engines have a reasonable price and given your mileage I would probably just ride it out. If the mileage was less I would repair what you have and that may be an option for you, it just depends on how you feel about it and if you can get someone to do it for under say $1900.

No metal shavings. I guess I will just keep trying different oil and keep my fingers crossed......Thank you for your input.

Rarely will any different oil quiet valve train noise, especially if it's due to worn components...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Rarely will any different oil quiet valve train noise, especially if it's due to worn components...

I have read that these engines are noisy at start up, but last for a long time. Mine is not that noisy @ start up, but makes some noise @ low RPM. I am hoping that a different oil will help.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
when it come to something like this, Castrol German 0w30 quiet down the noise. many ls have this problem and this oil quiet it down.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give GC a try. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
I would try valvoline high mileage 10/40 semi syn

Thank you. I will give it a try.

I'd be putting Valvoline 10W-40 in that truck so fast it would make its hood spin.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back