2010 Honda Accord V-6 VCM Engine using Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running synthetic Penzoil Ultra and the vehicle has 14,000 miles on it. It was using about 2 quarts/5,000 miles. Honda updated the ECM and changed out 4 spark plugs that were fouled. The engine light led them to do this.

Then back into the shop and Honda changed the 24 valve seals. It failed a leak-down test.

Now I am left with the vehicle "using" 10 ounces of oil/ 1,000 miles. Most likely this will mean 1.6 quarts between oil changes as Honda said to change out the oil every 5,000 miles on a VCM engine.

This is the engine that runs 6 cylinders under load/cuts back to 4 cylinders under less load and when under even less load cuts back to 3 cylinders.

Some think that the rings are "soft" and when it goes into 3-4 cylinder modes you get blow-by.

Honda has lost numerous "lemon law" cases and they must buy a car back or put in a new engine after four attempts to repair the same problem.

The question is:

Would you consider 1.6 qts of oil between 5,000 mile changes excessive using Penzoil Platinum?

Would you "live with it" or take it back and get the short block and rings replaced or a new engine?

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I just got upset as it's only a year old with not much mileage and it's been like this from day one. My Honda Dealership has several 2010 used Accord V-6 VCM engine on the lot "for some reason".

Opinions please.

You're still under warranty so I'd go to war with Honda given the history of the car. It's unusual for a Honda to burn oil (until it gets over 250k miles).

Plus the inconvenience given the amount. Dealer said soft rings? Does he mean loose rings?

Last edited:
Hi.

It's still under warranty, so if you have all maintenance records...use those as your weapons.

All engines consume oil to varying degrees. It depends on how you drive and the condition of the pistons and cylinders.

I am very certain that this engine was "broken in" by the owner's manual or common sense; drive it easy and drive it soft. Unfortunately, it carries the risk of improperly seating the piston rings. Although legally I cannot tell you to do otherwise, I have always broken in my engines the same way: drive it extremely hard and never at constant speeds for about 30 minutes or 30 miles. Then go home and immediately change the oil and filter. The hard driving will ensure correct ring sealing and changing the oil will remove metal contaminants and wear particles accumulated.

With an engine of 14,000 miles, I do not personally think it should be consuming oil at this rate. This is verified by the insufficient compression identified by the leakdown test. Either the pistons aren't sealing correctly, or the cylinder walls are at fault. It's most likely the piston rings.

Originally Posted By: 229
Get your four attempts but they consider that normal consumption.

If that's considered normal I want nothing to do with Honda.

Originally Posted By: Scorch

1.6 qts of oil consumption between 5,000 mile changes is considered normal by all manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Scorch

1.6 qts of oil consumption between 5,000 mile changes is considered normal by all manufacturers.

sick.gif
Thats depressing, makes me love my car. Level doesn't move on the dipstick in 3k.

True, most consider 1qt in 1000 miles "normal" to weasel out from engine replacements.

However, there is no doubt that this Honda engine is very problematic.

VCM engines are notorious for consuming oil, nothing new here. Honda has no solution besides a computer flash that does nothing in terms of oil consumption but decreases your MPG.

I failed to find what weight oil is in the Accord. I assume it is probably running a Xw20 weight oil like most new Honda engines recommend.

These are just my thoughts from maybe why these VCM engines are consuming oil or blowing it out. When these cylinders are not in firing mode, how does the oil react? I'm sure the oil may not instantly cool in the cylinders, but that could be the case. Air is still breathing through these cylinders with engine coolant circulating also. I would assume this would cause a cool zone in the engine. How fast can an oil change its viscosity when in this type of environment? Maybe when it gets thin so fast it is just being burned by the other cylinders when it reaches them. Almost like the motor oil never reaches operating temperature. A good test would be to run the engine at high RPM's, I assume this vehicle is an automatic. Switch to a high gear and get it revving. Make that oil reach its operating temperature. See if you get any consumption on running it hard. Of course that would give you [censored] MPGs, but it may keep the oil at the viscosity it needs to be. Otherwise, I would probably experiment with a heavier weighted oil to see what would happen, if the engine is already on the verge of failing. Just my thoughts...

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Since it failed the leakdown test, don't they need to rebuild or order a new longblock?

Exactly, the valve stem seals would have nothing to do with poor leakdown.

It's not just your car. Friend at work has a 2008 Accord v-6. Uses between 1 and 2 quarts every 2,000 miles. First time they were alerted by engine tapping; they were 3 1/2 qts. low. Car has 68,000 miles, it starting "using" (no smoke, no drips) at 60,000 (funny, warranty stops at 60k they have extended warranty) Honda says nothing wrong with the 2008 Accords - then they googled "2008 Accord oil consumption" and found a lot of disappointed accord owners. They are now part of Honda dealer's 'oil consumption' test; they have to bring their car in every 1,000 miles. No one online has gotten any relief; Honda says this is normal consumption. Not on any Honda I've ever known, including my daughter's 2003 civic.

I just remembered that when the new 2ZR-FE engine came out in 2009 Corolla, there were oil consumption issues with 5W20 oil. Toyota offered ECM reflash that increased fuel consumption. Some people used 5W30 instead and oil consumption went away.

Anyone tried xW30 oils in these Honda oil pigs?

Reading posts on multiple sites regarding Honda V6 oil consumption makes me very, very happy that we just went with the 4 cylinder in our Accord.

Quote:
Anyone tried xW30 oils in these Honda oil pigs?

Not likely. That would require critical thinking and independent thought. Everybody knows the total sum knowledge in the universe is contained in those numbers on the oil cap. Any deviation, nay any thought of deviation will result in the universe winking out of existence.

Ed

At this point, you have to rely on the warranty so, don't do anything that could give Honda reason to say you haven't followed their recommendations. Have the dealer do all the maintenance work as per the owners manual schedule. Document everything. If Honda considers this consumption "normal" (I certainly do not), ask them to supply you with two quarts of Honda Gen-U-ine oil so that you can keep it topped off with their oil. Do you really know what oil the dealer is putting in it? What bulk oil are they using?

I purchased Honda brand oil, filters and drain plug washers thinking I would do the maintenance on our 2011, but after reading too many of these threads, I'm reconsidering and thinking of doing all dealer maintenance until the warranty expires. It is very interesting how Honda and their dealers are adamant about leaving the FF in after four years of experience with this engine. I've never heard of leaving FF in for 7-8,000 miles and I've been changing oil for 40 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back