Oil recommendation Dodge B250 .1988. (318 TBI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I was just wondering what engine oil you guys would recommend to use on my Dodge van.(318-tbi-100k.Miles)

Im using a Castrol fully synt.5w30 And a stock Mopar oilfilter as we speak.

Unless you are using oil I think you will like what you've chosen. How long of an OCI ?

Last edited:
It uses wery little oil between changes, Oci at 5000 miles.

Last edited:
A 318 is one of those engines that you could live forever on just about any oil. When I drove a 318 daily back in the 1980s through early 2000s, I used Mobil 1 10w30 and it just kept going, and going, and going, and going. Still would go if I pulled the car out of storage, for that matter. The TBI version, like my carbureted version, doesn't have the issues that the later Magnum series had where a lower intake plenum leak could contribute to sludge and grit formation in the crankcase, either. When I did a timing chain on mine at well over 300,000 miles, it was very clean in there.

All in all, I see no reason to change what you're doing. I've never been a big Castrol fan and would probably use M1 5w30 Extended Protection or Pennzoil Platinum myself, but honestly the Castrol products are probably pretty much on a par with Mobil and Shell/Pennzoil for that application. Plus I don't know what oils are readily available to you. Same for filters, you could stick with Mopar or go with Wix, Baldwin, or Purolator if those are available in your area.

I'd suggest any good quality PCMO 5w-30. Dino oil will suffice for those OCIs. Your current choice should do well.

The LA series (318, 340, 360) is a decent engine series and will survive a long time with good maintenance.

Thanks guys! Im gonna stick to the oil im using based on what you told me.
The Mopar oilfilter seems to work good for me, But
Maybe i should change to a more frequent OCI?

Originally Posted By: vanimal
Thanks guys! Im gonna stick to the oil im using based on what you told me.
The Mopar oilfilter seems to work good for me, But
Maybe i should change to a more frequent OCI?

Longer oci is more like it,maybe 7500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back