BMW 335d Factory Fill 6.5k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
62Lincoln - Recently at the Nurburgring in Germany I was able to spend some time with Senior people from FUCHs and Castrol.
Both work with BMW on lubricanst technologies and in particular those or a low viscosity. Both had BMWs in the 24hr ADAD-Zurich event using 0W-20 (non ACEA compliant) lubricants

The approaches taken are similar regarding emmission related results but their findings (which I won't relate to on here) are a little dissimilar

I worked with Castrol on the oroginal development of some of their products (especially the 10W-60 - the ester version now marketed by BMW, and HDEOs). Whilst some here on BITOG will dissagree with me I can confirm that I would be using a BMW sold product (or as an alternative a BMW Approved product) over anything else - with very good reasons

And yes - some German engine Manufacturers do use a special initial FF lubricant - usually according to the engine family and/or its application

62Lincoln,

SLX Professional Powerflow BMW LL04 0W-30 C3 has:
830ppm Zn, 760ppm P and 1510ppm Ca.
TBN=6,7
SAPS at 0,64%

There is also similar new Castrol EDGE Professional BMW LL04 0W-30 with Fluid Strength Technology.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
62Lincoln,

SLX Professional Powerflow BMW LL04 0W-30 C3 has:
830ppm Zn, 760ppm P and 1510ppm Ca.
TBN=6,7
SAPS at 0,64%

There is also similar new Castrol EDGE Professional BMW LL04 0W-30 with Fluid Strength Technology.
I believe that's a PAO base oil so the ratios maybe slightly different from say the 5w-30 SLX OE PROFESSIONAL which is a Gr3 (only low-SAPS castrol oil available in US)

The 0W-30 is low saps C3 as well.
I suppose m37charlie used that Castrl OE 5W-30 SLX in his BMW:
Ca 2509
Zn 910
P 815
(from his post)

I suppose that low Zn oil from 335d is break-in only dino and I'm checking it with BMW dealer in Poland - maybe they will know more..

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
The 0W-30 is low saps C3 as well.
I suppose m37charlie used that Castrl OE 5W-30 SLX in his BMW:
Ca 2509
Zn 910
P 815
(from his post)

I suppose that low Zn oil from 335d is break-in only dino and I'm checking it with BMW dealer in Poland - maybe they will know more..
let us know. BMWNA emphatically denies the use of break-in oil on all non-M models. JUST AN FYI the SLX OE 5w_30 is dealer fill in the US.

Yes, please let us know. Everything I've been able to find so far (mostly anecdotal) suggests that the Euro oils pursue LL-04 with a low/no Zn approach, which explains the so-called "break-in" oil. The Zn content of other LL-04 oils such as Mobil 1 ESP obviously demonstrate that the spec can also embrace higher levels of zn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back