195/65/15 or 185/65/15 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My Corolla CE came with 185s and my sister-inlaws Corolla LE came with 195s.
Since both cars are identical except for trim level I assume that I could run 195s.
What would be the difference if I replaced the 185s with 195s?How much would my speedometer change?

Look for a tire size calculator. Some of those do that lifting for you.

Likely there's little difference.

you are talking about width , not aspect . probably 10mm width difference . If you meant 195 60 15 you are talking a half inch lower which would change your speedometer less than a mph.
I would drop down to a 60 series tire both for looks and cornering ability. I went from a 185 65 14 on my corolla to a 185 60 14 and the tires have been great. Mileage is the same even though they turn slightly more per mile.
I put 40000 miles plus on them and they were slightly used when I got them. They are almost gone. Hankook optima 420's.
as a general rule. every time you change 1 size number in a tire , it is about a half inch except rim sizes which go mostly in inches.

Here's a suggestion from one who made the change from 185/65-15, the OE size on an 01 Civic. That is a relatively narrow tire so I switched to the 195/60-15 and haven't looked back. Honda decided to go the slightly wider tire on later but same generation (7th) Civics.

The 1010 tire size calculator is a fairly good one.

More than likely the speedo is calibrated to read fast most of the time, and accurately as a best case scenario. IOW I bet toyota put the same calibration in for both tire sizes.

Since the 195s hold more weight, they'll last longer. But they might hurt your gas mileage minutely. You might also enjoy a slightly nicer ride.

I always run the largest tire I can for the better ride.
Your speedo will read 1.5 miles per hour slow.

You could run the larger tire but it will read slow like Skygod has said. I am doing this now but its on an old Mercedes. You also have to check to see if you have the clearance. I get some rubbing issues on the bumper. Running 195-60-15 would be closer to stock rolling height of 185-65-15. 195-65-15 would be a taller tire than your 185 by 1-1.5 inches depending on the brand.

I would go 195-60-15 as your speedometer would not be thrown off as much. Make sure to check if there is vertical and horizontal clearance.

OK, I looked up your vehicle and found that 185/65R15's were supplied up to 2008, but starting in 2009 they started with 195/65R15's. I think that means there is a model year difference betyween the 2 vehicles and that may mean there might be some rubbing issues. Proceed cauiously.

The difference is that the 195/65/R15 is going to be a little bit taller and wider.

It's best to stick with the OE size for your car. Look at the sticker that lists the tire pressures. It also says the correct tire size.

Originally Posted By: chad8
you are talking about width , not aspect .

But a change in width causes a change in aspect since aspect is expressed as a percentage of width. So a 195/65 is not only wider but also taller than a 185/65 tire.

Lot's of knowledgable folks have weighed in here. I'm quite certain the 195/60-15 will not rub. I don't think the 195/65-15 will either as it's diameter is ~.5" greater. They also use it OE on the same year (08) on the LE and S models, so one would think it would work well on the CE too.

There is one other size I have considered for the Civic and that is the 205/60-15, looking at the linked tire size calculator, it's even more accurate with the speedo than the 195/65-15. But it is a bit wider.

Best thing to do is plug in all the tire sizes mentioned in the linked calculator above and check out the different sizes for yourself. I really can't blame you for considering a size with a slightly wider tread.

Just for reference here's what DT lists for the optional sizes for the CE. Plus sizes.

I have a 2006 Corolla CE and replaced the 185/65/15 Goodyear Integrity OEM tires with a set of Michelin X 195/65/15.

I am very happy. I have no clearance issues and have not noticed any speedometer/odometer error. Wheels/tires look better too....fuller in wheelwell.

My GPS unit tracks within 0.1 mph of the speedo.

I'd suggest you go with the 195/65/15 size.

Regards

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
The difference is that the 195/65/R15 is going to be a little bit taller and wider.

It's best to stick with the OE size for your car. Look at the sticker that lists the tire pressures. It also says the correct tire size.

I probably will stick with 185s but I find it surprising that Toyota would put 2 different size tires of the same aspect on the same car (exept for trim level).
If Toyota had put 195/60s on the LE it would make perfect sense.
Thanks for all the knowledge.

My impression is that as soon as they hit 60 aspect ratio they tire becomes near H rated, and the intended target has more performance and less fuel economy in mind. For the same tire model they may not change much, but if you look at the available models, most 65 and above would be higher UTQG and T or below, while 60 and below would be lower UTQG and H or above.

Between the same model 195 vs 185 and both 65 aspect ratio, they are probably not much difference other than 195 having more traction and heavier for acceleration / braking. Capriceracer said rolling resistance would be slightly better so it may be better for highway driving, but I think in city driving the lighter tire (185) will for sure save some fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back