10w 40 and Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was over my friends house the other day and he was doing an oil change on his 08 4cyl Honda Accord that now has over 120K... anyway he was running PYB 10w40 in it and has since it was new?

So I was wondering do many of you run 10w40 anymore? I know it was big years ago but is there any good or bad to running it?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So I was wondering do many of you run 10w40 anymore? I know it was big years ago but is there any good or bad to running it?

I use it,but that`s what my car specs.

My boss is the same way.
He's all "I like 10w30" and that's the way it is.
His cars are:

2007 Rav4 V6
2010 Civic

(both 5w20 cars)

At least they both seem to run fine (30w is not bad obviously)

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I may be wrong but I heard they call for 5w40 in the hondas over in Japan.

In the S2000. Otherwise, no.

Hey, if was good enough for my '70 Fairlane with a 302, surely it's good enough for my new Accord...right?
lol.gif

OK - in all seriousness, I run a -40 when the manual specs it for the temperature and use. See the sig, many of my cars do. But I wouldn't run it in that Honda...

Last edited:
I stand corrected, Motor Oil Madman wins the prize.

This is for the K (2005 crv, yes the 2.4 and not the 2.0) series in Japan:

2wn06kn.jpg

EDIT: Ok, that's a bit ridiculous. If you can't read it I don't blame you, here's the info:

5-20, 5-30, 5-40 are appropriate for any temperature (I'd assume that's any temperature in Japan) and 10-30 is only good for higher temperatures. No mention of 10-40, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I stand corrected, Motor Oil Madman wins the prize.

This is for the K (2005 crv, yes the 2.4 and not the 2.0) series in Japan:

2wn06kn.jpg

EDIT: Ok, that's a bit ridiculous. If you can't read it I don't blame you, here's the info:

5-20, 5-30, 5-40 are appropriate for any temperature (I'd assume that's any temperature in Japan) and 10-30 is only good for higher temperatures. No mention of 10-40, though.

Where did you get that information from? I am trying to look it up for my D17A2 found in 01-05 civic ex.

Honda engines with VCM perform poorly with heavier oils. They need 5W-20.

2011 engines have a document you have to sign stating you agree to use 0W-20. Tight tolerances and coatings.

I would go with a good synthetic oil at Manufacturer's specs before going heavier.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
. . . 2011 engines have a document you have to sign stating you agree to use 0W-20. . . .

If you are referring to Honda's 2011 Owners' Manuals, they state: "Always use a premium grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal." (See, e.g., p. 349, "Recommended Engine Oil.")

If you are referring to some other requirement -- perhaps something a dealer drafted for you to sign -- a citation (or better yet, a link) to the source would be interesting see.

From Pennzoil/Shell Australia for the 2008 Accord 4 cyl:

Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)
Engine (P) Premium HELIX ULTRA 5W-40
Standard HELIX HX7 AJ 10W-30

10W40 won`t hurt a thing.

Doesnt matter. 10W40 isn`t going to suddenly seize up the motor. 20W50 wouldn`t harm that motor either.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

2007 Rav4 V6
2010 Civic

(both 5w20 cars)

At least they both seem to run fine (30w is not bad obviously)

For the record, 2007 V6 RAV4 is 5W30 car, not that it makes a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back