Lucas oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the Lucas oil additive in auto stores on the display that shows as you turn the gears,the oil clings to them,does it really hold onto the surfaces better for start up or ?
Is it really good for added protection like the rest of the "additives" are? Additives better for higher miles or any like i have about 36,000 miles on my '05 impala 3.4 v/6.
Thinking about going with an additive to help the engine on start up so it doesn't have to be dry,so there's some sort of lube to help out.
Worth it or not...i know...that depends on the owner.
Normally i use castrol,quaker state and now i have shell oil and only use fram oil filters.

That little gear thing is to lure idiots into buying it, similar to the K&N filter machine you will find at o'rileys, it takes something that has nothing to do with the inside of an engine and they use it to market the product. the only gears you will find inside an engine are on the timing chain IF your car has them.

And I have read that it causes oil to foam after so many miles.

I wouldn't worry about the little things like additives, and worry about what you are putting in to begin with, and I sure wouldn't start off an OCI by putting on a cardboard fram filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Lucas in three of my 4 vehicles with no problems what so ever. Depends on if you want to try it, I've had good luck with it slowing oil usage. People either love additives or they don't.

Additives have proven to screw with the oil formula and not in a positive way. Oil additives don't help cold starts. If anything it hinders the oils job as it thickens it up. As many over the counter synthetics are out there pick one that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and use it. Its all the cold start up protection you'll ever need. This has been discussed and proven many many times on this site. Snake oil unless you got a clunker trying to slow down oil usage. Quality oil needs no help. Lucas diesel fuel treatment is ok stuff. There oil additive is not.

An analysis of Lucas Oil Stabilizer shows its basically straight 70 brightstock with no additives whatsoever, so it really does just water down the additive package of the host oil. You would be better off with the 4 buck STP Oil Treatment, as it has some ZDDP to give the host oil a very slight nudge up.

Just use a good synthetic. IF you want something geared towards a high mile motor, go with something like Mobil1 High Mileage or Valvoline Max Life Synthetic.

I'll just stay with regular oil,no additives. ty
Fram is a cardboard filter(?) and...not that good? Holy oil leaks batman i've used that filter for years!
I do want a top quality filter,cost is not that much of a factor to save an engine but let's not get crazy like $10 bucks for a filter.

go with pureones, wix,bosch filters. They are mid price good quality filters. If you will go for extended drains you might consider 10$ and up filters... Like Bosch distance plus, m1, amsoil...

My issue w/ Lucas is its incredibly high viscosity. I recall a diesel UOA w/ 20% Lucas added. The result was oil as thick as gear oil!

Back in the day I used it a couple of times w/ no issue. Just not sure if it does much good either.

Let's not forget about Hastings and Baldwin filters... those are very nice too.

Lucas stabilizer is a good "assembly oil".. it really sticks to parts so for building an engine, it's handy, Putting it in my oil, I don't think it's needed. It has been shown to foam.. and that's no good.

Last edited:
It sticks good but its just oil, not much of anything in it. So all it does is just water down the ad pack. As for assembly, the lack of any real antiwear additives would make me not use it. Might be good for keeping stuff from rusting though.

the lucas oil stabilizer to me is nothing more than 140wt gear oil. I've poured 140wt gear oil and lucas at the same time, and the lucas is about as thick as the gear oil.
So my response to people who ask is..why do you want to put a 140wt gear oil into your engine that wants 5w20 oil?
It stops leaks by super thickening the oil, it does nothing but potentially cause issues from aeration and prevent the oil from flowing as quickly as its supposed to. an oil that thick on a cold start (especially on a cold day) will put stress on a weaker oil filter, such the fram. You would need a filter like a K&N that can handle 500psi of burst pressure to feel safe.
fram makes a good high quality filter, but at $9.. why pay more for something that everybody else has for much less?

with the opinions of BITOG I've been able to be more aware of the lucas products and have been able to debunk their oil stabilizers, trans fixes, p/s fixes and have discovered they're merely snake oil with truth on the label. they are 100% petroleumm products. their octane booster I havne't been able to debunk yet. same goes for the fuel treatment.. lightweight machine oil.. great for lubricating, not so much for cleaning..

however, everybody has their own take on lucas, they have powerful marketing behind them and sponser a few races.. doesn't mean their stuff is for everybody.

I had someone with an 08 escalade, 34k on it. 6.0L motor.
the "mechanic" brought 20w-50 mobil special oil, and a bottle of lucas along with an ac delco filter. I lost it and started chuckling. It was way to funny to see.
when teh motor fails, they will blame GM, not the "mechanic" who put the wrong stuff in it.

Interestingly, I don't like to dog a companies whole line, but I just don't see anything in the Lucas family I'd be willing to use with the exception of the car polish... I'd try it out on the work car if the price was right.

Chuckle if you must, but the other veteran "Snake Oil" company as many like to call it... Justice Bros. actually makes some great fuel injector cleaner, penetrating oil, and Spray TB Cleaner. Actually JB's is the best I've tried. This doesn't mean I vouch for everything they make, but I find their motor clean-up products to deliver what's promised.

Lot of truckers like the Lucas diesel fuel treatment. I use Amsoil fuel treatment mostly but I have used the Lucas in a pinch. Would never consider the Lucas oil anything. Its been debunked many many times in years past. Snake oil.

Originally Posted By: brick
Seeing the Lucas oil additive in auto stores on the display that shows as you turn the gears,the oil clings to them,does it really hold onto the surfaces better for start up or ?

I've been a devout Lucas oil stabilizer user since 1999. I've been working on dirt race cars dating back to 1986 and the team I was with in 99' raced Dirt Super Late models. We used a well known professional builder and had been using the same builder for several years. How it came to be was we had just installed a newly rebuilt engine in the car and went to our local parts store for oil, filters and other essential parts. While we were checking out at the counter I started playing with the Lucas Oil display you crank by hand and watch the stabilizer cling to the gears. I asked the car owner what he thought and we bought a quart to try it out in the newly rebuilt engine. We ran the engine without incident, changed the oil at regular intervals and always used the Lucas Oil stabilizer until time for a new rebuild. We dropped the engine off at the builders shop and went back to the shop to do maintenance on the car and wait on the refreshened power plant.

When we went back to pick up the engine the builder wanted to know what oil we'd been using... We told him we ran what he recommended only we had added the Lucas Oil stabilizer. Curious, we asked why? What he told us was, when he tore down the engine that the valve springs were exactly what he expected for the number of laps we'd run, but that the bottom end bearings showed very little wear, almost half as much as the expected norm. Now this was in a 750+HP Dirt Super Late model engine that see's 8,000+ RPM's on a weekly basis. After this I became a regular user in every vehicle I own, lawn equipment included and in the 12 years since I've never had and engine failure. Now I don't know how it works or why, but I'm sold on it.

Glad it works for you Racer. I've used Lucas in the past a couple of times. They've helped old motors build oil pressure. However, I know this is because of it's VERY heavy viscosity. IIRC, Lucas makes your oil thicker than gear oil!

Other than oil pressure increase, I see no use. There's an oil analysis around here showing that there's literally nothing(additive wise) in Lucas.

But, to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back