Push-Pin removal tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm looking for a simple tool to remove body part push-pins (for plastic wheel well shields, underbody covers, etc.). My Mazda5 is due for an oil change and I don't want to mess w/needle nose pliers or screwdrivers; as I'm going to be changing the oil many times, I'd rather just have the right tool. Anybody know where to find an affordable clip removal tool (and officially, what that tool is called)?

Thanks.

M_C

Last edited:
Local autoparts like autozone, oreilly, advance auto parts would also have it, search their websites for "trim tool", walmart may also have it but it's hit and miss which ones carry it. (might try making a tool from an old fork that you would throw away)

HF has one similar to the one posted for cheap money.
Its a cheap tool but works good for this job and removing vacuum and heater hoses.

I bought something like that years ago for another purpose- used it once, then it languished in a tool box for ages. Recently, I used it to remove the plastic fasteners for the Dakota's RF wheelwell, which allowed easy access to the AC drain tube and the RH cyl bank spark plugs. It worked great. I've seen small flat prybar/nail pullers that should work well too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did a little digging on HF's website and they have these

image_5902.jpg

...listed as "push pin pliers" for $10. Guess I'll scrounge up a HF coupon & go get one.

M_C

Have 2 kinds, http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/body-repair-and-paint/body/door-and-trim/page-5/ (panel clip plier) and

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/body-repair-and-paint/body/door-and-trim/page-8/ (second one on page, curved (GM trim pad tool)

Both work great and their equivilents are available at many parts stores.

The push pins that have the separate smaller pin in the middle can be released by pushing that pin through, you don't have to pull it out. It will capture on the back side of the retainer and the retainer pulls right out. Ashamed to admit it took me awhile to figure it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back