Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else seen this stuff?? Is this just another marketing bull Is it real?? I don't know what to think.Eveyones educated comments please. I cant wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it holds some sort of truth, but most likely just more marketing [censored]...

The only reason I never jumped on it is because idk if I could get enough miles out of the OCI to make it worth spending 5 dollars more than m1 EP..

The test they show is actually kinda silly. The lubricity tester is an odd machine. a measure of bearing wear is kinda odd, considering most engine oils don't have much extreme pressure additive (for good reason). The amount of bearing wear that any given oil has in this test is only a small part of an oils job. RP has used this test for years in their marketing, but any oil high in zinc (ZDDP) will give you similar results. If you add dandruff shampoo to your oil, which is high in zinc, you will get a similarly impressive result, including enhanced film strength. Please note adding shampoo to your oil is not recommended.
lol.gif

I`d be really cool to see them test RP,VR1,RL,Pennzoil GT,M1 15W50,and Amsoil racing oil (these all have high zddp,right?).

RP is a solid performer, but so are a lot of oils for a lesser price. Use RP if you have money to burn or at least give it a good run (10K) easy. If you are not comfortable with longer OCI's it is kind of a waste. I would love to give it a shot but I see that price tag and I personally cannot justify it. There is no magic oil.

I don't have much experience with RP engine oils, but I have used their Max ATF and been very impressed with the results. Their industrial products are also high quality.

Have used it( all their products actually )for 2+ decades with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
The test they show is actually kinda silly. The lubricity tester is an odd machine. a measure of bearing wear is kinda odd, considering most engine oils don't have much extreme pressure additive (for good reason). The amount of bearing wear that any given oil has in this test is only a small part of an oils job. RP has used this test for years in their marketing, but any oil high in zinc (ZDDP) will give you similar results. If you add dandruff shampoo to your oil, which is high in zinc, you will get a similarly impressive result, including enhanced film strength. Please note adding shampoo to your oil is not recommended.
lol.gif

About the friction test.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

I'm willing to give RP a try, esp the new HPS (high performance street) line that is coming out. I suspect that a few UOA might show that it performs good but its the long term wear / corrosion that concerns me.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
The test they show is actually kinda silly. The lubricity tester is an odd machine. a measure of bearing wear is kinda odd, considering most engine oils don't have much extreme pressure additive (for good reason). The amount of bearing wear that any given oil has in this test is only a small part of an oils job. RP has used this test for years in their marketing, but any oil high in zinc (ZDDP) will give you similar results.

Not really, because the test is temperature dependent. The repeatability of the Falex lubricity test isn't very good.

The problem I have with the companies that discredit the test is just that,it`s an oil company discrediting the test trying to lower the credentials of the company that says they did well on the test,instead of having someone completely unrelated to any of the participating oil companies performing said test.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The problem I have with the companies that discredit the test is just that,it`s an oil company discrediting the test trying to lower the credentials of the company that says they did well on the test,instead of having someone completely unrelated to any of the participating oil companies performing said test.

But since it is so easy to add EP additives to improve results for a test that isn't for engine oil,(it's for gear oil and such) why wouldn't XM do it? Answer: EP additives may increase corrision in engines that do not require EP additives in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

What kind of OCI can I get from Head and Shoulders shampoo if I switch from M1 to H&S?

If you look at the Australian oil tests with the Timken bearing,two dino oils (Valvoline and Pennzoil GT) beat out all the others,except for RP and Penrite,which did the best. I think Penrite had the smallest wear scar and beat RP. As for the price,RP`s actually the cheapest synthetic on the market. At $8.99,it`s a couple of bucks cheaper than Amsoil and Redline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back