FORD F150 5.0 with 240000 miles recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys long time no post. Here it is I got a new truck. Had to downgrade by a longshot. But I got a 93 F150 with 240000 miles on it. I now live in nd and gets very hot and cold. Need some ideas. Got some maxlife 10-30 in it now. Any ideas on anything to use. Engine runs good. 5.0 is pretty good engine. Auto trans 4x4. Thanks guys.

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 fully synthetic year around would provide the best protection in your climate in an older engine. It's pretty cheap at Wal-Mart.

Timing chain.
My guess is original. probably needs to be done tho. Ill keep rotella in mind i got about 500 miles may be a month before the next change only cuz the truck will not be driven for two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, that engine SHOULD have a double-roller chain, which is much less likely to develop the copious amounts of slack that Chris142 is alluding to. All of the HO engines got them and SOME of the lopo car engines did as well. Though it was hit and miss with the latter. I can't remember on the trucks, but I THINK the last one I had apart was double roller too.

I'd run 5w40 in it, Rotella or Delvac. M1 0w40 would also be a great choice, but is really expensive to be putting in an engine that old, with that many miles unless you are just insane like me.

If it doesn't consume oil very much (I'm sure it must at some point)just drive it until a mechanic can check it out at the next maintenance schedule.

My only snit is Ford uses allot of plastic parts like the timing gear so maybe replace that if you fear of breakage.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
If it doesn't consume oil very much (I'm sure it must at some point)just drive it until a mechanic can check it out at the next maintenance schedule.

My only snit is Ford uses allot of plastic parts like the timing gear so maybe replace that if you fear of breakage.

Durango

If it has the double-roller chain, it has iron gears. If it has a single roller, the upper gear will be nylon.

Your best bet is to go by what your owners manual says. I use conventional.

The only reason I would recommend synthetic is if you often forget to change your oil. Since you're registered on this forum, I doubt you ever forget to change your oil.

Don't use "high mileage" oil. It swells the seals in your engine. If your engine has no leaks, you would only kill the engine faster with high mileage oil.

Just use conventional oil and change it as often as the owners manual recommends. Don't forget to change the filter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back