MMO in fuel for "new engine break in", help/hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 65 and have broken in every new car/motorcycle that I buy with a good 'slug' of MMO in the first tank of gas. I run that tank half empty and refill several times. This gives me a taper off of the MMO as the upper cylinder area breaks in.

Is this of any benefit, any harm? You see so many talks about "glazing" of the cylinder bore..failure for the rings to seat...high oil consumption, etc. I must say I have never seen an oil burner in my fleet all these years but I wanted to put it to you. Am I OK with this? Waste of money or still a good idea?

A "good slug" of MMO will harm fuel economy based upon my experiences.

I wouldnt want any additional UCL activity during break-in, rather have the engine run in normally.

That said, your successes to date may make it a non-issue...

I'd NOT do it. Esp a "slug" amount. If the mfg of MMO says x oz of MMO per 10 gallons of fuel the last thing I'd do is add more.

If more was the ticket trust me MMO would be WANTING you to use more.
grin2.gif

During break in I'd pass. Any fuel adds I'd do here and there and pass on anything in the oil unless needed.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My owners manual states the NOTHING should be added to the oil or gas-period. I believe the factory.

This is said for liability reasons, not technical ones.

If nothing should be added to gas, don't fill up at any gas stations, get fuel right from the refinery.

My owners manual states the NOTHING should be added to the oil or gas-period. I believe the factory.

I can't really fault your view on this (though I don't follow it myself; another issue for another thread). This said, I'm inclined to believe that this rec is more aimed at "safely" addressing the real extremists who might take an additive regime to truly damaging lengths. A couple gallons of diesel in your gas to "clean things up" (bank account in that case) or vice versa. Or a 50-50 mix of MMO and gas. Or two quarts of ATF in your four quart crankcase. And so on.

I have little doubt that use of small amounts of most reasonable, intended adds will do no harm.

EDIT: Ooops, looks like Bob got in just before me with about the same idea.

Last edited:
Over many decades, I have purchased dozens of new cars and bikes (including 5 GoldWings & 2 water buffaloes). Never have I experienced 'glazing', high oil consumption, or any other engine related issues with any of my vehicles.

IMO, MMO (or any other treatments) to 'assist' engine break-ins is a waste of money. However, such treatments may provide great placebo satisfaction.

never seen one nor aware of ever such a need for adding additives/snake oils of all sorts to facilitate engine break ins.

Q.

I would pass on the good slug and just mix it like the bottle says to. Every new motor I build leaves the shop with MMO in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
... a good 'slug' of MMO in the first tank of gas....
What exactly is a slug amount? I don't see any problems running the MMO per it's direction during break-in, or during the total life of an engine....but no more than 4 oz per 10 gallons....in fact, I've started shying down to 2.25-3 oz. per 10 gallons, and seems my MPG has gone up a couple tenths
wink.gif

Sure, it could be just "typical variables" in my driving, head winds, the way I drive, whatever....but eh, I take it for what I see
wink.gif
I generally drive the same; easy on the accelerator.

Quote:
I run that tank half empty and refill several times. This gives me a taper off of the MMO as the upper cylinder area breaks in.
This is typical to when I first started using MMO, my first application, I would figure, OK my tank is 14-15 gallons, so I used 6 oz. of MMO....to "make up" for the total capacity of my tank....and would do the 6 oz. dosing every 3rd fill.....now, as mentioned above, I just keep it simple and use 2.25-3oz. per gallon...

That's simply to cover their bottom line.....so "they" can use their own re-badged MMO/Seafoam to "fix" a problem that would not have happened in the FIRST place, if the owner/operator of the vehicle added the additives themselves.
wink.gif

As far as the solvent vs. lubricant...Marvel themselves have revealed that MMO is equivalent to a 10W oil...

MMO in the crankcase is for very special and specific reasons.
Not normally recommended.

But the MMO in the fuel is primarily great for the in tank fuel pump of modern cars, and a bit of lube and sealing of the valve guides, seats, and rings.[also keep things cleaner]

Use the recommended amounts, like 3-4 ounces/10 gal gas.
It won't hurt a thing, and will not appreciably change your break in.

Things are different now than in decades past. Engines break in with normal driving quite well. No special techniques are really required.

Modern machining techniques have removed just about all the break in routine. There is no need. Follow the routine in the owner's manual. An early oil change might be good (but not as important as it used to be.

A rebuilt engine is different with proper break in necessary, 'cuz even the best rebuild shop can't machine an engine like the factory can.

I Should have defined "A slug"... I don't over do it, but follow the directions on the bottle. They used to have a recommendation for adding to the gas and if remember they used to double the amount for "new engines".

Most I ever added was one small bottle for a full tank of Auto gas and maybe 4oz to my motorcycle.

Picking up a new BMW R1200R on Wednesday. I may pack 4ounces of MMO for the "placebo/old times" sake.

I've used it (as has my family) for many years as well. A normal dose as a UCL sure couldn't hurt, as dry as the gas is these days with the Ethanol, Detergents, etc.
I run MMO in the gas in everything I own and have never had a problem with glazing, smoking, poor compression, etc.
But I agree with what was said in the posts above, the recommended dosage and not a 'good slug'.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Most I ever added was one small bottle for a full tank of Auto gas and maybe 4oz to my motorcycle.
OK, that clarifies/sheds some light...

A "pint" (that would be the small bottle) probably wouldn't "hurt" - but it would depend on how big of a tank you got
wink.gif
Even my mothers Ford Expedition only needs ~10 oz. for a full tank, so that 16 oz. (pint) would only be "slightly" over concentrated....

MMO can be added to the gas with the first fill-up of a new car. Just use the recommended amount of 4 ounces/10 gallons of fuel.

MMO is not a 10W oil it is a 5 grade oil. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back