2008 chevy impala trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought a 2008 impala with 88k on it.I was wondering what fluid to use for the longest intervals. I plan on doing a pan drop and filter change.

The Dex VI has high specs, any licensed product will work fine.
Amsoil is good stuff but i wouldn't do long drains on that unit regardless, 50K max under normal conditions.
49.gif

Is this transmission known to be unreliable? Is that the reason for not doing long intervals? I just got rid of a 2003 ford taurus that had bad tranny problems.

I've always just done 30k mile pan drops with my 4T60E and 4T65E trannies. The 4T60E lasted 212k when I got rid of it and it was still working fine. It only ever saw reg. Dex III, no synthetic. My 4T65E has 155k miles and I used M1 the first 90k and Dex VI since. Yours is still under warranty (5yr/100k miles) so I'd use Dex VI and works great.

I did not know that the GM warrenty covered the vehicle after it was passed from the original owner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikebrown2008
I did not know that the GM warrenty covered the vehicle after it was passed from the original owner.

A 2008 Impala had a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty as well as a 5/100 powertrain warranty. Both are transferable.

Your tranny calls for a DexVI fluid. No need for an officially licensed fluid. Any name brand fluid listing DexVI will do the job. Plenty of good fluids out there to choose from. Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc is a good choice. It is compatible with Dex VI fluid. A DexVI specific or a universal ATF that lists DexVI will work.

The tranny in your Impala is a known problem tranny. Be diligent with maintenance( 50K max on fluid changes - 30K is better IMO )and keep an eye on the fluid. Change at the slightes hint of a burnt smell.

If you want to go with a premium brand synthetic like Amsoil, RP, or Redline then Amsoil and Redline are the only options. RP MaxATF is not DexVI compatible.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken that Impala has a 4T65E?
I am not aware of it being a 'known problem tranny'.
Does anybody know of these units failing early?

With proper maint.,and no street racing ,it's a 200k mile unit.
People who abuse their trans through either neglect or the greenlight ego trip,are the ones that cry about premature failure.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
With proper maint.,and no street racing ,it's a 200k mile unit.
People who abuse their trans through either neglect or the greenlight ego trip,are the ones that cry about premature failure.

That's what I thought.
I know that some people have added 'shift kits' and such but I have never heard of these units being weak or problematic.
I have 128K om mine and it shifts like new with only 2 fluid changes in it's life (at 36K and 96k using Mobil 1 ATF and LG Red).
I get the feeling that this tranny could last as long as the motor.

There are quite a few issues with these trannies that are pretty common. Obviously with proper care and easy driving you should be ok mechanically overall BUT this tranny is not bullet proof even if you take perfect care of it. I am not saying they all are horrid or anything. Just pointing out they have issues and you need to take good care of them or you greatly increase your odds of a failure.

Here are some common issues with the tranny in question. Do a search for 4T65E transmission problems and look for yourself...

Shift solenoid failure
Harsh shifts
Fluid leaks from the upper vent
Loss of 4th gear and/or 3rd-4th issues
Whining and grinding noises
Input clutch piston failure

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
There are quite a few issues with these trannies that are pretty common. Obviously with proper care and easy driving you should be ok mechanically overall BUT this tranny is not bullet proof even if you take perfect care of it. I am not saying they all are horrid or anything. Just pointing out they have issues and you need to take good care of them or you greatly increase your odds of a failure.

Here are some common issues with the tranny in question. Do a search for 4T65E transmission problems and look for yourself...

Shift solenoid failure
Harsh shifts
Fluid leaks from the upper vent
Loss of 4th gear and/or 3rd-4th issues
Whining and grinding noises
Input clutch piston failure

Yeah, these units can last a long time... but they're far from perfect. From what I've read- anecdotally- it seems that problems with these transmissions are more common with heavier vehicles & more powerful engines.

I have a 4t65e in my '01 Lumina with 230,000 miles on it, and it shifts perfectly. Probably helps that the 3100 engine doesn't have enough torque to pull the hat off your head. The only issues I've had with the transmission are the following:

When I bought the car at 159,000 miles, it had a small oil leak at the driver's side axle shaft seal. I replace the seal and it was fine for a year or two; then it started leaking again. I don't plan to change the seal again unless/until it starts leaving drips and/or puddles. So far it's just making a small mess on the side of the transmission. I don't expect to have to replace it again.

Also I changed the ATF to Dexron VI a few years ago- around 175K miles. This made the full-throttle 1-2 shift do a nasty slip & grab thing. I just quit using full throttle for several thousand miles until I got around to doing a complete flush with Transynd. That solved the problem- the full throttle 1-2 shift is still softer than I'd prefer, but perfectly normal. So for whatever reason MY 4t65e does not like Dexron VI, but works fine with cheap Dexron III or with Transynd (synthetic Dexron III). YMMV.

I installed a transmission cooler and a spin-on filter base when I bought the vehicle maybe 5.5 years/70,000 miles ago. I don't know how much difference it really makes, but it makes me feel better.

We just had the transmission replaced on my wifes impala a month ago at 86k. It's driven on mostly highway but the last 15 miles of her 50 mile one way work day is hilly back roads. It started shifting hard after it warmned up. Like all transmissions heat is an enemy, but it is faaaar worse for this model. We had the transmission shop put on an aftermarket trans cooler with the new transmission. Thank god for an extended warranty, or we would have been footing that $1700 bill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back