Gravity Bleed vs. Two-Man Brake Bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am doing my first brake bleed on my versa, I like to do fluids every 2 years/25-30K. I have usually used a Mityvac in the past on my other cars, my mityvac is at my brother's, so im left with doing it the two-man way or gravity bleed. Which one is more effective, I know that gravity takes a lot longer, im willing to wait though! Any negatives of gravity bleeding? Ive never done the two person method, my wife is willing to help out though so thats good. Any ideas or tips?
Thanks!

If your just changing fluid gravity is the best anyway.
draw as much as possible out of the MC and refill, open each bleeder one at a time until fluid runs clear.

Some folks advocate a bleed order but today there are so many bleed sequences the old start at the pass rear first is outdated, just changing the fluid it doesn't matter at all.

DO NOT push down the brake pedal while a bleeder is open or you will really need to do a bleed. Open, let it run, close, repeat for the others, done.

Edit: Make sure to use a piece of hose on the bleeder screw into a drain pan.
No need to submerge the hose in fluid or bang on the caliper with a mallet, doing an exchange there is no air in the system anyway.
Do not let the MC run dry, have the wife watch it and refill when it gets to half way.

If you changed parts or opened the system then you will need to do a proper bleed job.

Last edited:
Given the choice between gravity feed and the two person method, I would choose the later. It is possible to have small air pockets trapped in the m/c and/or caliper(s) with the gravity feed method. The two-person method is quick, reliable, and easy to perform. Just don't pump the brakes when performing the bleed. Slow and easy does it. Make sure that you don't bleed the m/c dry during the process! (That can introduce air back into the system.)

I really strongly prefer a pressurized brake bleeder to gravity or two-man bleeding. With my Motive bleeder I can do all four corners and the clutch slave cylinder in about 15 minutes.

The order does matter (a bit) and some cars use the closest-to-furthest method - I know in mk4 Volkswagens they switched from closest-to-furthest to furthest-to-closest one year. Personally I don't think it makes a big difference (especially with a pressurized bleeder) assuming you don't get any air in the system. The last two brake flushes I did, the fluid through the front calipers was noticeably nastier than the rears.

At least you're changing it! How many people out there are driving around with 5+ year old brake fluid full of debris & water? A lot, I'd reckon.

Thanks for all the links and help guys! Now ive got a project for the upcoming weekend, hope the weather holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back