Audi A4 3.0 TDI Amsoil AFL 5W-40 10kkm UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Opinions welcome on the UOA - especially on aluminium wear.
audi30tdi.jpg

The car is tuned to ~ 300 HP.

For what it's worth, my S4 consistently has aluminum numbers above their "universal average". The key word being consistent, though they're not 3x like yours are.

Is the Audi Euro 3.0 the same as the CATA engine in my Touareg, only tuned a bit stronger? If so, my aluminum wear was half what you are showing at a still breaking in 9,000 miles.

Do you have any other UOAs on this engine that would show a trend on aluminum wear? Regardless of Blackstone's averages, I would think 32 ppm on an 80,000 mile engine is too high.

If you boost the horsepower then you must expect higher wear rate. Your oil is shearing partly due to fuel dilution which is due to the higher tune. Personally, I would switch to Red Line or Motul for the higher HTHS if you are going to work the engine.

No more UOA from that car yet, but planned. Yes, it has DPF - 1% fuel above.. Engine was flushed/cleaned after many Castrols inside, we will see if any improvement appear. Maybe something was clogged and high alu wear was from cold start-ups.. ? There was Motul before - worse with DPF, more frequantly being regenerated - so more saps probably, with AMSOIL AFL it was much better and clean + no oil consumption like never before. C2/C3 oils is all what you can use with DPF. I would expect more Fe from tuned engine but why alu?
I wonder if 0W-40 C3 oil would help with alu wear...? If start-ups wear theory is true. Next UOA will be 80% HWY mostly FOT ;-) and some city driving - we'll see ;-)
Thanks for all input and more ideas welcome ;-)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Have you ever thought about using Amsoil DEO 5W-40?

I think it will be much better suited to this application.

Yes, we consider this but we're afraid of DPF -> DEO saps=1% and AFL's 0,8%

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
TAN higher than TBN? This oil looks about done.

Maybe but I don't think that so increased alu wear is result of tan/tbn ratio.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Have you ever thought about using Amsoil DEO 5W-40?

I think it will be much better suited to this application.

Yes, we consider this but we're afraid of DPF -> DEO saps=1% and AFL's 0,8%

It's a trade off, but honestly I would be willing to take the risk and use a true diesel oil. Just a suggestion.

Thanks Pablo - we will test DEO probably and see UOA if it is worth it (I mean - eventual more soot). On AFL DPF had less soot and less frequent regenerations during the 10kkm than using VW 504/507 oils e.g. Motul specific which was also more consumed than AFL, so if using DEO gives the same level of soot in DPF like before (maybe more regenerations = more fuel in oil?) but significantly less wear - that would be good deal to me.

My dream in this Audi is wear level like this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2303099&#Post2303099

This analysis looks almost the same as my 1.9tdi 130hp with Valvoline Durablend diesel 5W40 (vw50501) (exept the Alu)

scan%20ananlyse%20olie.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back