Review:99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 145K

I wanted to share some thoughts on my current ride. So here we go ..............

This 99 Jeep WJ (grand cherokee) is 4x4 and was purchased very well maintained from a relative. The vehicle has 143K miles and I am the third owner. First let me say this thing is RELIABLE but not durable. Several suspension parts are shot. These are not the OEM parts either. Almost everything in the suspension has been replaced at least once. It currently needs at least its third set of tie rod ends and the bushings and ball joint in the rear wishbone (yes you read that correct REAR ball joint WTH?) are shot. Also the front and rear drive shafts are moaning and in need of replacement to the tune of $1000 just for parts. Drive shafts are one of the many weak points on this generation Grand Cherokee with several shops specializing in this repair.

I rate the engine (the vaunted I6 of AMC heritage) as tuff but useless in a large SUV such as the WJ. It gets poor mileage and is nearly useless on the highway. A corolla can pull away from the Jeep on any uphill grade on the highway i.e. 60 mph plus.

The trans is so low tech and poorly programmed it is hard to imagine. It is a 4 speed auto with TWO yes TWO second gears. An ECM flash is out there to re-flash it to a true four speed auto but who the [censored] thought up this idiocy?

The 4x4 system is amazing but it should be noted that the transfer case has been replaced by the first owners for an unknown reason.

The small parts quality is horrendous. I have had issues with door hinges, door handles, and numerous trim pieces. Also several weatherstrip are leaky.

If you need a vehicle that goes places normal 4x4's can't go this is the vehicle for you. Off road it drives circles around Explorers, tahoes, any front wheel drive based suv shrivels up in the presence of the Jeep brand off road. To equal the off road capability one would likely need a Rover SUV of some sort.

It may sound as I hate this vehicle and I do. I like a quiet, comfy ride and I never have a need to do serious off roading. The nickel and dime repairs get really old.

In closing here is my pro and con list:
Pro
reliable engine
excellent off road capability
good looks
HUGE online enthusiast presence (makes diagnosis of problems easy)

cons
suspension is not durable
small parts not durable
parts are expensive compared to GM and Ford
horrible highway manners
poor engineering/design choices by Chrysler

I would recommend this vehicle if 4x4 performance is your top priority. Otherwise I think there are much better choices.

Well I agree with most of what you said but, will say pound for pound there isn't a better engine than the 4.0L AMC inline especially Jeep applications about the only thing I can think thats a problem for it is rear main seal but, that is a super easy job to do every 80k to 100k when they began to mark there spot and the exhuast manifold on the pre 2000's. I love the 4.0L. Chrysler should have never gotten away from it especially putting something like the [censored] 3.8L engine what a dumb move. The Jeep 4.0L will be around when we run out of fossil fuels you can't kill them. I have a 05 and 98 and the 98 I have dogged the [censored] out of with 250k and I think the [censored] thing runs better now than it did new. You have to realize this though a Jeep is no sports car or luxury vehicle if you want that you bought the wrong ride. Just like you woudn't buy a Vette to pull a fifth wheel trailor down the road no different.

My daily driver is a 1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4. In my opinion, it is one of the most robust vehicles of its type. In my opinion, Toyota has a well-engineered 4x4 system. It has changed lately with the newest vehicles, but..yea. Just my thoughts.

Get your facts straight about the WJ Jeeps before you spout nonsense about them.

The 4.0L only came with 42RE trans. The 45 RFE Trans in the V8 models are the only trans to have a reflash of the TCM to upgrade it to a 545RFE trans

From Jeep:

A Flash upgrade was introduced on September 15, 2000 which when performed on 1999 and 2000 models adds the new second overdrive ratio to upgrade those transmissions to 5-speeds)

The 42RE in the is just a real simple 4 speed trans.

As for the other parts that you are complaining about. Its a 12 year old Jeep thats has 143K on it. And your complaining about spending a $1,000 bucks to bring it back up to par. Give me a break.

If you want something thats smooth riding and has good MPG's don't drive a SUV. Get a car.

Also it you want to learn about the WJ Jeeps before you post anymore nonsense look here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm

I have had many older and higher mileage vehicles with less problems. Maybe I am Jeep stupid but these are my observations and nothing else. Also it is a LOT more that 1K dollars. Doing the work myself it is 1000 bucks just for the drive shafts. Add on the rear A-arm assembly and tie rod ends+labor that just turned into 2K.

A vehicle should not need rebuilt at 142K miles. This one does with the exception of the engine.

Also what I said is not nonsense. The thing is falling apart whether you like it or not. While I may misunderstand the trans issue everything else I said is valid.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
A vehicle should not need rebuilt at 142K miles. This one does with the exception of the engine.

My Saturns needed a lot of front end work and random stuff at that mileage, I consider it fairly normal. The cost of the repairs is what sounds out of line. Maybe Jeep parts are a ripoff.

The one thing to consider is replacing Mopar parts, with Mopar parts. When I had my 94 Wrangler, every single time I went cheap with parts it never fit right, didn't work as well as the original or just broke.

Replaced hood latches with cheapies and driving down the highway the hood was banging up and down. Returned cheapies for Mopar and it was snug. Weather stripping, door handles you name it, go authentic or get it from a junk yard.

My mom has a 1999 Buick that is supposed to be very reliable with a 3.8 but it's falling apart too. I think any 22 year old vehicle is going to have some things that need attention. Once you get it fixed up you should be fine. Years are harder on most vehicles than are miles. Hopefully you can get it repaired to the point where you really like it. I used to drive an older one with the 318 engine and it was a very good vehicle and had high mileage. It was so long ago I can't remember the year but it was white with leather interior and was loaded. Good luck to you!

Back