Country of Origin... Does it matter ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone besides me care where their tires come from?

Does it matter? Do they follow the same quality control?

Just Curious, Jim

As long as the tire gets good reviews, I don't really care where it comes from. My current Bridgestone RE960 is made in Mexico. I haven't had any problems with it.

Less and less from a quality standpoint.

But still very valid from a trade imbalance standpoint.

I'm sure the quality of a Michelin tire made in China is fine. But the profit is going to France and the pay is going to China.

It's a global economy, but it makes sense to buy things made locally all else equal.

Theoretically, no.

But remember the Chinese drywall situation in Florida, for starters.

Personally, when I had to buy tires for my old Malibu, I had to swallow really hard to get the Kumho's I bought. Price was good and I had no complaints about them in general, other than snow traction not being what I'd hoped it would, but Kumho was an unknown to me since I always had Firestone/Bridgestone/Goodyear in the past. What really surprised me, though, was seeing the "Made in China" label stamped onto my allegedly Korean tire.

Currently, I'm surprised that my Sonata came with Michelin tires. I would have expected Kumho or Hancook tires.

I didn't think to look where my Neon's snow tires were made, the same tire in Tracker size was made in Canada.
It was only after the first winter did I notice they were made in Venezuela... I guess Goodyear has quality standards no matter where they get their tires but it wasn't a positive for me. The tires have worked fine now for the last 3 winters but next time I'll ask where they are made.

Hi.

Quality control is directly dependent on the company. So, if the company cares, they will keep the same quality control standards overseas as they do in their native country.

But I don't think a person overseas makes a worst product than a person in the native country. It depends on the quality control.

Taken from the movie Ratatouille haha: "Not everyone can be a great chef, but a great chef can come from anywhere."

From an economics standpoint, obviously it makes sense to shift this work overseas to cheaper labor. Again, it's all up to the company. If the company cares about keeping jobs in-state, they won't do it.

To me, it matters to a certain degree. In theory, quality control should be dependent upon the company. But I've seen evidence to suggest otherwise. Just look at Mattel and their toys sourced from China. A country with a sub-par reputation for quality control would be crossed off my list, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

The other time country of origin would matter to me is in an entirely different situation. If I were to cross the border and buy my tires in the USA, put them in my trunk and drive home to Canada, then country of origin matters from the perspective of duty I would need to pay at the border. I would prefer a NAFTA country made tire, as these get 0% duty - only attracting sales/eco taxes. Sourced elsewhere, and there is duty.

To date, I've used tires on my own vehicles (OEM and replacement) sourced from Japan, Korea, Canada, USA, Brazil and Germany and have no complaints that could be associated with quality control/safety (performance is another issue, but that has to do more with brand and model). My trailer however has Chinese tires, and I can't say I'm impressed or even confident with them. Wear is quite uneven, and mileage on them isn't that high. Possible it has to do with alignment, which would not be the tires' fault, but unless alignment were grossly out, which would then be otherwise noticeable while towing, there's no way they should have such pronouced feathered edge wear for so few miles, unless there were quality issues. Thankfully, this particular brand, one of two that are sourced from China for trailer tires, does not seem to have a disproportionate number of catastrophic failures (blowouts, tread separation, etc) based on internet searches.

Trailers typically have quite a bit of tow in for stability.

Probably not really a fair comparison to completely different tires (size, load rating/construction, tread pattern, compound, etc.) to tires used on other vehicles. Are you trailer tires radials?

I agree with dtt004 - the quality can be just as good if the parent company insures the same quality standards regardless of manufacturing location.

It's not correct to say "Country of origin" doesn't matter, and it's also incorrect to assume that it's the manufacturer who assures QC when the manufacturing is done in a third world country.

Aside from drywall issues, the melamine poisonings of infant formula and dog food, and the general lack of regard for human life in general (see: Gender specific abortion, 'one child' policy, etc.), the Chinese have also decided as a cost cutting measure to delete the gum wall layer in tires a while back, causing tread separation and death.

It's doubtful that the manufacturers approved this measure, and it's never happened from manufacturers in other countries. So, yes, I believe that 'Country of origin' is important, and especially with things that could result in death if they fail.

Until the Chinese recognize that the rest of us do not share their lack of regard for life, I will always look at 'Country of origin" before to determining if I place my safety and trust (and money) with them.

I prefer to buy American or North American, if possible. It seems my favorite OPE, Echo is building in China now. I really don't have a problem, if the Name backs it up with a good warranty. I know Echo still backs theirs with a 5 year warranty and has QC in place to make sure it is equal to USA and Japanese quality. Some stuff made in China is definitely sub-par and I will avoid.

Tires, I will go USA or European if I can.

My .o2

Dave

Yes, COO matters. It's amazing that we take such pride in athletes from our home country in the Olympics or other sporting event (as we should) but not with manufactured goods.

I have General Altama HP's on my 03'Ford Focus. Couldn't ask for a better tire for my vehicle...and chose them because of reviews of other users on TireRack. The price was exceptional as well (had a good rebate).

The tires were made in Brazil....and General is owned by Continental (a German Company).

My question is....are there any automobile tires made in the USA?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I'd say at least 50% of the tires out there, from the "major" prevailing brands, are made in either the United States or in Canada. The Michelins on our Acura were made in the USA, and the Michelins on our Honda were made in Canada. Every Michelin I've owned has been made in either the USA or Canada. Every non-Michelin I've owned has been made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Trailers typically have quite a bit of tow in for stability.

Probably not really a fair comparison to completely different tires (size, load rating/construction, tread pattern, compound, etc.) to tires used on other vehicles. Are you trailer tires radials?

I agree with dtt004 - the quality can be just as good if the parent company insures the same quality standards regardless of manufacturing location.

Unfortunately not radials. This size AND load range combination is extremely difficult to find (ST185/80D13 Load Range D). There are ST185/80R13 tires out there, but only Load Range C. The Load Range D spec barely covers the weight of the trailer. So the trailer manufacturer did under-spec, but as I've learned since becoming a trailer owner, it's common in the trailer industry to under-spec many components used in the trailers.

Originally Posted By: Noey
It's not correct to say "Country of origin" doesn't matter, and it's also incorrect to assume that it's the manufacturer who assures QC when the manufacturing is done in a third world country.

Aside from drywall issues, the melamine poisonings of infant formula and dog food, and the general lack of regard for human life in general (see: Gender specific abortion, 'one child' policy, etc.), the Chinese have also decided as a cost cutting measure to delete the gum wall layer in tires a while back, causing tread separation and death.

It's doubtful that the manufacturers approved this measure, and it's never happened from manufacturers in other countries. So, yes, I believe that 'Country of origin' is important, and especially with things that could result in death if they fail.

Until the Chinese recognize that the rest of us do not share their lack of regard for life, I will always look at 'Country of origin" before to determining if I place my safety and trust (and money) with them.

That is my viewpoint too. It boils down to corporate greed and a lack of laws and/or enforcement of the laws that allow this to happen. Other countries with the same conditions would have the same results.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

My Goodyear/Kelly Fierce tires were made in USA.

Cost less than the General Exclaims (Czech) and less than half the price of the Bridgestone Potenzas (Japanese) that preceded them.

Already outlasted their predecessors by a wide margin

I use Tirerack to search for my tire needs. I would pick 3-4 tires that I may want to buy to compare, on the comparison page it shows various categories such as Price, Customer Survey, Tire Specs (UTQG, Max Load ...) and Country of Origin.

If all the tires I was interest were not made in US then too bad, if one (or more) is made here then I likely buy the tire made in the good old USA (from another source such as Discount Tire/America's Tire).

It does, from the trade standpoint. I'd like my dollars to stay in North America, and provide jobs for Americans and Canadians. After that, I'd like to provide jobs for European countries. China comes last on the list.

Sadly, finding American-made is really hard with some things.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It does, from the trade standpoint. I'd like my dollars to stay in North America, and provide jobs for Americans and Canadians. After that, I'd like to provide jobs for European countries. China comes last on the list.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Exactly.

Says the guy with 3 imports... 4 if you count the fact that the Escape is based on the GF platform by Mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back