brand advice what to use?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!!! I'm new to this forum. I need some advice on brands of oil that I should use. I live in Tucson AZ. I drive a Chevey S10 that takes 5w-30,with 6000 miles on a rebuild engine.It's mainly driven very short trips every day about 4 miles dayly. A 04 honda crv with 112k miles that takes 5w-20.this car Idles for long periods of time in the 105 degree heat.Obviosly the 2 autos are under severe conditions.I use Castrol GTX for both & purolator filters.I'm not all up to speed on the spec #s and what they mean and older data.With so many brands out there and every brand says they are the best,synthetic vs. dinno.Ive reserched online to the point now I'm more confused now.What type of oils would you use and why?I'm not talkin brand X cause thats what my Pappy uses and it's the best,or Ford vs. Chevy [censored]. Any help and in put is greatly apreciated. Thanks.

Truly as long as its a name brand and the latest SN/GF5 Spec there is just not that much difference. By whatever is on sale with a decent filter. If you are changing at severe duty intervals which is likely 3000 miles on the S10 and 5000 miles on the CRV you will never know the difference. For that matter the GM OLM and Honda MM work pretty well with conventional oils.

I use whatever is on sale, and that includes the "house brands" at Advance auto parts, or even Wal Marts Super Tech. If a name brand is on sale for only a buck more, I go with that.
Its not all the same, but it is all good stuff today. The SN rating has stepped up the quality of oils. Even the SM stuff was really good. Filtration is the key and a well tuned engine.

You're set up on the s-10 is good. In the Honda you should switch to synthetic Mobil 1 because the engine gets too hot when idling for long periods.

I have Nissan's and they are very hard on shearing oils. I spent a couple of years and became involved in my company's fleet oil change analysis to better educate myself. I have spent over 15 years buying high price synthetic oil. I have found that simple Castrol GTX 5W30 beats many of the synthetics on my UOA's.

Pure 1 filters, and Castrol 5W30 GTX is the best for the dollar. Which by circumstance you are already using that combination. After my Mobil 0W40 stash is gone Castrol bulk in the box will be the oil I use on all my vehicles.

GTX or Valvoline no need for synthetics in the engine you change it enough synthetics are a waste. Some will tell you Pennzoil/QS but, I woundn't use it. I would tell you more but, don't want to get the people in bed with Pennzoil upset.

GTX is a sleeper here otherwise a very good oil. Continue with it. If you want synthetic which is a better option in most cases I would suggest Castrol syntec/Edge as well. But then again most brand oil are really excellent. Honda synthetic is also an excellent oil for your Honda.

Originally Posted By: vtb
Some big unknown conspiracy surrounding Pennzoil and QS?

Please, explain and enlighten us.

33.gif
Oh man,just let it go.

Originally Posted By: VR1
GTX or Valvoline no need for synthetics in the engine you change it enough synthetics are a waste. Some will tell you Pennzoil/QS but, I woundn't use it. I would tell you more but, don't want to get the people in bed with Pennzoil upset.
LMAO!!!!!!

OK Cool!!! I thank you all for the replies.I'm glad I'm doing something right. I would like to share some oil filter info,you guys probably all ready know. Manufactures make filters under different names. Wix=Napa Mobil 1= K&N Fram=Microguard=HondaGenuine STP=Super Tech=AC Delco Bosch=Denso I found some filter cut away videos on youtube. Also you guys do a rinse with a quart of oil after you drain? I do and you wouldn't belive the black crud that is still left on the rockers & in the pan.

Paper end caps and all.I don't care which way you slice it Genuine Honda oil Filters are Fram. Yah I was disapointed also dude...

Originally Posted By: VR1

What a troll. Go peddle your hogwash somewhere else.

I wasn't talking about GTX. I was talking about the way he's always trying to trash talk Pennzoil/Quaker State.

AFAIK, ANY oil that meets API/ILSAC requirements is good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back