Weedwacker Gas Leak.....FIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My weedwacker seems to be leaking gas where the fuel line goes directly into the gas tank. What type of sealant do I use?

I woul dreplace the lines.. If you use the correct size "TYGON" (fuel line) no sealent should be needed..

Cut the line at an angle to push it through the hole easier then pull it the rest of the way with hemo's..
Cut the line square and install your F/F, then cut to length once you decide how much you need from tank to carb.. Do the same with the overflow line but there is no need to square the end inside the tank..

If you feel the need you can use super glue as a sealant but it's usually not required..

Last edited:
No sealant. If you can pull the line out of the tank an 1/8 inch it might seal off the leak. Gently pull it out a little or shove it in just a little. If it's a stihl or echo, you need a whole new part.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
No sealant. If you can pull the line out of the tank an 1/8 inch it might seal off the leak. Gently pull it out a little or shove it in just a little. If it's a stihl or echo, you need a whole new part.

I haven't seen a model number mentioned, but if it's one of the older Stihls it has bulk fuel line pushed through a grommet, so your trick might work. The newer models have the molded line you're making reference to.

I "assumed" the OP is referring to something like a RYOBI since he say the line goes directly into the tank?

"IF" it's an Echo he would most likely need lines and a tank grommet..

Regardless pushing/pulling the line is a temp fix @ best so I would just replace the lines..

The fuel lines seem to last about 4 or 5 years on my blower and weed wacker. Using the angle cut to feed the line through the NEW grommet works great.

Originally Posted By: FNFAL308

Regardless pushing/pulling the line is a temp fix @ best so I would just replace the lines..

I agree, but there are lots of people on a tight budget these days, so if it gets him by I say more power to him
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I agree, but there are lots of people on a tight budget these days, so if it gets him by I say more power to him
smile.gif

Fer sher, & I certainly won't disagree with these being tough times.. But a couple feet of TYGON is pretty cheap & shouldn't break the bank for most.. I just hate to see someone do something halfway and then have to do it again before summers out.. I know we screw around with fuel all day long but I hate getting it on me or my clothes when I'm not at work..

Cut the line at an angle to push it through the hole easier

+1000 lol

I just replaced the lines on my hedge trimmer with a set from Lowes ( Arnold/MTD brand I believe ~ $4 bucks). and where they go through the gas tank is just two holes, no rubber grommet. I must have tried for 15 minutes to get them through until it dawned on me to snip the ends at a 45 degree angle. They went right in and I was able to grab them with the needle nose. Then I snipped that area off anyways to install the fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut

Cut the line at an angle to push it through the hole easier

+1000 lol

I just replaced the lines on my hedge trimmer with a set from Lowes ( Arnold/MTD brand I believe ~ $4 bucks). and where they go through the gas tank is just two holes, no rubber grommet. I must have tried for 15 minutes to get them through until it dawned on me to snip the ends at a 45 degree angle. They went right in and I was able to grab them with the needle nose. Then I snipped that area off anyways to install the fuel filter.

It really does help that's for certain... Sometimes it so difficult to get the line through that I actually "split" the line so I'm only putting half the diameter through the hole or grommet. Once it's started I pull it through with my Hemo's, square the line and I'm GTG..

Last edited:
Warstud...if the line just fits through a hole in the tank and appears to have shrunk and is not sealing, pull it out a little or push it in a little. It will last as long as the line lasts.

If the line need replaced, FNFAL208 has the ticket. Split about 1/2 inch of the line and it goes right through the hole so you can grab it with long needle-nosed pliars or hemostats. It just costs you a 1/2 inch of line. Also cut a piece of the line out to take with you so you get the right diameter line.

Last edited:

I think that did the trick.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

I think that did the trick.

I just went through this a a week ago. What happens is that the fuel tubing shrinks and hardens with exposure to gasoline and age. The only sure-fire cure is new tubing. Get it from a place that sells and services this equipment to be sure it's the right kind. The hole in my gas tank is about 0.195" diameter, so I got 2 lengths of tubing, both 3/16" O.D., but different wall thickness. I first tried the thicker wall tubing, but found I just could not pull it trough the hole in the tank with the filter inserted without risking breaking something. The thinner wall tubing worked fine and sealed okay. Be sure to push it on the filter barb as far as it can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back