Panasonic OEM battery in my Toyta. ever heard of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Panasonic battery in my 02 Toyota. every heard of one? this one's 9 years old and working great. I normally replace batteries every 4-5 years. its been a game to me to see how long this one will last - but now the CIC is driving it longs distances and I figure I better replace it....

The OEM battery in my Toyota 4Runner lasted a little over 10 years. Toyota uses some real quality material in their vehicles. The only reason the battery did not last longer was due to a crack starting in the housing....then I replaced it with a Interstate battery.....which is not as good as the OEM. IMO....The cold winters and hot summers take a toll on any item....including batteries.

Panasonic makes some real quality electronics....I would venture to say that you have a quality battery based on the history of the company.

Panasonic is OEM battery of many made in Japan cars, my Honda S2000 was made in Japan and had Panasonic battery and it lasted 7 years.

Yes, that is a good quality battery, and in some countries that still last for 3 years short trip driving where others fails within 1 year plus

They are OEM in the Japanese built Mazda's. The US sourced Mazda's get Motorcraft batteries.

All the replacement Mazda batteries are Johnson Control sourced from Interstate. So many arguements with customers that specifically want a Panasonic battery that do not understand this.

the panasonic battery that came in my 97 miata was AGM, about as good as you can get for SLA. But it was a pretty penny to replace, so I shoehorned a civic battery in with little effort and much more capacity remaining. That battery made it about 7 years if I recall.

If the 'yota oem panasonic is also AGM, I'd go right back to the dealer for the replacement.

M

Well guys....Panasonic does make good batteries...they are the supplier for our 300V Hybrid battery packs for the full size GM SUV and pickup batteries. GM wanted the best, and fair game is fair game - Panasonic delivered. I hope Johnson Controls comes out with something (equal in quality and cost)so we can get rid of the Panasonic battery for more domestic content!

Originally Posted By: meep

If the 'yota oem panasonic is also AGM, I'd go right back to the dealer for the replacement.

..where you'll likely get a Toyota True Start battery made by Johnson Controls.

Eh, the one in my Mazda 3 didn't last that long (06 and I replaced it around christmas time.)

I use only interstate batteries now.

Every car I ever saw that was built in Japan had a Panasonic battery, and I often saw 4-6 years out of them, even in Florida, where 3 years on a battery is usually too much.

The Panisonic in my wife '01 Lexus was still going after 8 yrs but I replaced it anyway.

The one in my '04 Altima died right at 6 years

And the one in my daughter '06 Mazda 3 also was going strong when I replaced it in Oct 2010 just because. The MFG date was 10-05 so I figured it was time.

I replace all 3 vehicles batterys with high end batterys. Not taking any chances! Although batterys aren't anything that I have really ever had any trouble with, I wanted the top rated ones in our vehicles.

Last edited:
The OEM Panasonic in the Forester was fine in the summer but a little weak in the winter. My only reason for replacing it was that however I still have it sitting in the garage just because.

It was at least 6 years old.

If memory serves: in order for domestic-built imports such as Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, etc, to qualify as a domestic built automobile (so as to dodge the additional cost of import levies, tec.), they must come with at least 75% domestic contents within.

and that explains why NA built import brand names typically go with domestic suppliers even for nitty-gritty components such as wipers, batteries, light-bulbs, tires, etc.

Q.

It may not be that cost-effective to ship batteries overseas. Very few of the replacement car batteries found in the USA are made anywhere other than USA or Mexico. There must be some reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back