Motor oils with titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be one of the late popular additives into oil that we are able to see in a VOA, along with companies swapping calcium for magnesium. Let me say that I'm a bit curious, so much so that I'm planning on trying Castrol Edge next time around and I've been less than thrilled with my Mobil 1 experience in my GTO which I've been bandaid fixing by adding ZDDP. I just saw the 0w30 SN M1 and it shows no titanium. I understand there are additives that we can't see as the technology is changing, but it sounds like some of us were expecting some Ti in new M1 formulations.

Obviously, we've found that moly has been used to offset ZDDP in some oils, but from what I've read this also has the downside of causing some deposits in the combustion chamber you experience some blowby? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. Most oils still don't have enough moly for this to be a concern most likely.

So is Ti supposed to be the latest thing that most companies will be adding? We know Castrol is advertising it in big letters on the front of the bottle, but are there others that are quieter about it and adding it to their formulations?

I find this all very interesting. To me it seems like ZDDP does an excellent job at what it does and I tend to be an if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of guy. New oil standards don't seem to allow this mentality.

Last edited:
Wow, I just found the PDS for GT-1. I wish all companies gave us this much information. The VOAs I've seen of Edge w/Ti show about half of what Kendall uses. I'll have to see if I can find this stuff and what the price is.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
Wow, I just found the PDS for GT-1. I wish all companies gave us this much information. The VOAs I've seen of Edge w/Ti show about half of what Kendall uses. I'll have to see if I can find this stuff and what the price is.

Go to the website and look for Kendall engine oils marketers in your area. The wholesaler in my area sells to me by the case for less than $4 qt. If its a trip, you could pick up a couple of cases. Maybe get an even better discount!

Originally Posted By: johnachak

Go to the website and look for Kendall engine oils marketers in your area. The wholesaler in my area sells to me by the case for less than $4 qt. If its a trip, you could pick up a couple of cases. Maybe get an even better discount!

I've made a lot of calls today with not much luck. A number of maybes according to their site and my calls all ended in no. If I can find a distributor and that price, that would be cheaper than I've been getting Mobil 1 for lately. I'm going to see if any of my connections at work will help me tomorrow, otherwise I'll end up either trying QSUD from the excellent reviews of it or maybe Edge with Ti to stick with titanium.

Pep Boyz has it right on the shelf.

Although I do not remember exactly what they get for it, I DO remember that it was significantly less than ANY of the other major market brand synthetics per quart.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back