10k Delvac 1 no add no filter 4.0 jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I knew how to "tape and paste" a PDF file ...

Anyway .......Delvac 1 ROCKS!!!

The first figure is the Delvac driven 9 months and 10,000 miles with no adds and no filter changes. The second number is approx 9k using Mobil 1 with intermediate filter changes. Both OCI used Napa Gold 1794 filters. The system capacity is approximately 9.5 quarts.

Alum. 5 / 7
Chrom 1 / 2
Iron 28 / 78
Copper 5 / 6
Lead 11 / 23
Tin 3 / 1
Moly 12 / 64
Nickel 1 / 2
Maganese 1 / 1
Silver 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 2
Boron 23 / 75
Silicon 13 / 13
Sodium 6 / 9
Calcium 2805 / 2796
Magnesium 504 / 183
Phosphorus 1046 / 773
Zinc 1252 / 966
Barium 0 / 0

SUS Visc @ 210 F 75.7
Flash point 355
Fuel 0.5
Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.4

No TBN ..I sent a seperate sheet since my left handed script is so lame that they mispelled my street name last sample. They apparently couldn't cope with a sheet that was bigger then their little form (it got lost somewhere). They went on the assumption that this was not the only interval in the 10k that that had expired between now and the last sample. They correctly identified that this oil acted more like a 15w-40 (5w-40 actually) instead of a 5w-30.

I think it's a great 10k UAO...

..and I await your opinions and comments...

[ March 03, 2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Which viscosity M1?

5w-30 ..it was a mixture of tri and super due to my long intervals and the product change/availability and stock on hand.

Delvac seems to keep low numbers on the iron count in the 4.0L Jeep engine...switched to the Delvac 5W40 at the last change on my Jeep...so far I like the way the engine turns over at colder temps and my mileage has improved about 10%
burnout.gif

quote:

system capacity is approximately 9.5 quarts

Do you maybe mean 6 quarts?

No ..I mean 9.5 quarts. I have a PermaCool dual remote sitting where the air box used to be ...I used the NAPA 1794 2 quart filters ..two of them.

The 4.0 is in a 99 TJ Wrangler 5 speed. It had, at the time of the last oil change 78500 miles on it. My first UOA was @ 68500 and the oil was all but shot. That was even with a filter change and make up oil.

The jeep sees a 4 day highway daily drive of 50 miles round trip ..mostly at semi warp speeds (65-70). An additional 50-100 miles a week is added for "suburban" driving.

I adapted the AMSOIL LARGE bypass filter to the Permacool mount (just swapped the threaded inserts)...so system capacity is now around 10.5 quarts. I'm also installing the cooler that I've had sitting in my garage since the first year that I bought the jeep. I DID manage to get my high volume oil pump installed at around 2500 miles ..which is when I started using Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has been my choice for just about every vehicle that it has been practical for out of brand loyalty. I've had great success with it generally speaking. My first UOA left me somewhat disenchanted however.

Here's the original thread on my first UOA

quote:

my mileage has improved about 10%

I noted a solid 2 mpg improvement for about 7000 miles. I am probably experiencing some fuel system degradation however. The cats on these jeeps are apparently prone to clogging with age. The jeep typically gets a solid 17.5 =/- .5 mpg. Extended trips below 75 mph can yield more ...but usually traffic flow dictates how fast you travel and not the wallet.

My wife's Tj is shod with 33x9.5r15 BFG A/Ts and has 3.73 gears.

greaser,
What are the stats on your jeep? If you and Allen are seeing that kind of mpg improvement from Delvac..I may just have to ride all over town to find it for my OC this sat(instead of the Amsoil 10w30)
As for my stats 03 tj 4.0 5spd 31/10.5/15ssr 3.07...yea i know i need to gear down..cant decide between 373-410.

quote:

As for my stats 03 tj 4.0 5spd 31/10.5/15ssr 3.07...yea i know i need to gear down..cant decide between 373-410.

Let's go a little off topic ..

Do you intend to go to 33" tires in the future? If not ..and you find that your jeep handles starting off okay ...then don't bother regearing. You have more than enough torque for off roading with the transfer case low range (unless you REALLY want to go hard core and then either 3.73, and probably 4.10 won't be low enough).

The reason that I say "starting off" is because I also own a 4 banger 02 SE. The 5 speed crowd is OBSESSED with the fact that they lose 5th gear when they go to big (33" or higher) tires with the 4.10 gears. I say "SO?". I say if 1st gear works well enough for you ..then you're okay. 5th doesn't work because you are out of the rpm range that "that" gear is effective at....and 4th is NOW where you should be (within 100-200 rpm anyway).

I always use the example of a step ladder with 5 steps on it ..and you're trying to lift a load to a shelf where you stand on the 5th step. Putting bigger tires elevates that FIRST step ..the spacing between the steps remains the same ...now the shelf that you wanted to lift the load to ..is now at the 4th step instead of the 5th. So ..if you can handle that taller "first step" (first gear with bigger tires) ...the rest is sort of inconsequential and a game of geartrain samantics.

The 4.0 is a perfect engine for high gearing. It has a low and flat torque curve (peaks out at about 1800 rpm and remains flat for long way up the rpm range) so you can actually have less rpms/mph if geared right ..this is even with the higher piston speed of a long stroke engine. The thing doesn't rev worth a crap ...but who cares? I've installed Mopar roller rockers on mine to reduce some friction in the valve train and lighten it up a bit. The thing still seems more like a light or medium duty diesel.

Just throwing in another way of looking at it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back