2011 CR-V oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2011 crv ex 4wd we drive mostly highway 75% of the time, live in northeast wi. the factory fill is still in the engine whem it comes time to change what brand oil do you recommend. All the other cars we own I have used amsoil with good results. Is Amsoil 0w20 different from the honda 0w20 or other brands. We dont drive all the often maybe 6k a year if we are lucky.

Honestly, that Honda 2.4 will run forever on anything of the right spec and viscosity.

Oil selection decisions aren't as complicated as we make them out to be.

Welcome to Bitog.
Amsoil will probably recommend annual change even with just 6k, so factor that in.
Nice vehicle, good luck with it.

Agreed with most of the other posts here. You could run vegetable oil in that K24 engine and it would probably still be fine...

Change the oil as per Honda's Maintenance Minder System.

With only 6K per year, IMHO it's a waste of money to use a full synthetic. Motorcraft 5W20 is a great syn blend and can be had at Wal-Mart for less than $4 per quart.

Right spec oil? 0w20? I get amsiol at the preferred rate so price doesnt bother me. I was curious because i didnt see that many CRV owners using Amsoil. I change the oil every 5 months becasue of the low miles driven. I thinks it more of a piece of mind thing. I like the added protection of a full syn. How can I tell if an oil is with in spec of Honda Oil?

If you are a Amsoil fan, then stay with Amsoil oil. Their OE and XL 5W-20's have a pour point of -45F. That will serve you well in the Wisconsin winter. Once a year oil change would be fine.

You are comfortable with the amsoil,so run the Amsoil synthetic at the factory recommended oci.

When both Honda (the world's largest engine manufacturer) and Toyota (the world's largest car manufacturer) have specified 0w-20 synthetic oils with very high moly content (>800) and high VI numbers (>200), there must be something to it. None of the other 0w-20 oils on the market display these characteristics. Also, Honda's race engine builder has an organic moly additive (Mugen MT105) that they use in their racing engines, and, Honda appears to be adding extra moly to their factory fill oil and advising buyers NOT to change it early. Because of these facts, I am convinced that there is a valid reason for the high moly content in their 0w-20 synthetics.
I have been a loyal M1 user for many years and have been very happy with it. I also know many people who swear by Amsoil and Red Line. You will be fine using any of these excellent synthetic oils, but, in MY 2011 Honda I think that I will be using either Toyota's 0w-20 synthetic or Honda's 0w-20 full synthetic because of the high moly content that the other synthetics do not have.

Last edited:
Amsoil will soon be coming out with OE 0W-20 and XL 0W-20 if you want an Amsoil 0W-20 at a lower cost, for shorter intervals.

It will be interesting to see if Amsoil bumps-up their moly and VI numbers on their OE 0w-20.

My 2011 Accord, with the same K24 engine that you have, will be using either M1 0w20 or Edge 0w20, depending which is on sale when I need it. Change will be at the Maintenance Minder. Filter will be a Pure One or something of the sort.

If honda 0w20 and amsoil 0w20 were compared which is better? What is the moly content of the Amsoil and how did you find it? I have always used Wix oil filter any thoughts over Honda's oil filer and who makes it for it? What is the purpose of the high moly content? Is it helping with friction

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 11crv
If honda 0w20 and amsoil 0w20 were compared which is better? What is the moly content of the Amsoil and how did you find it? I have always used Wix oil filter any thoughts over Honda's oil filer and who makes it for it? What is the purpose of the high moly content? Is it helping with friction

Q. If honda 0w20 and amsoil 0w20 were compared which is better?
A. That is a LOADED question to be asking in here!
grin.gif

Q. What is the moly content of the Amsoil and how did you find it?
A. I saw 130 for moly and 165 for VI. It is in here, do a search. 130 for moly isn't too bad, but it is WAY below the >800 that Honda and Toyota 0w-20 synthetic oils have.
Q. I have always used Wix oil filter any thoughts over Honda's oil filer and who makes it for it?
A. WIX manufactures an excellent oil filter. I have used them myself and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Honda's US filters are manufactured by FRAM. Personally, I would not use a FRAM filter myself.
Q. What is the purpose of the high moly content? Is it helping with friction?
A. Yes, it is an anti-wear additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
, in MY 2011 Honda I think that I will be using either Toyota's 0w-20 synthetic or Honda's 0w-20 full synthetic because of the high moly content that the other synthetics do not have.

Please provide documentation that Honda's full syn 0W-20 (current part# -9037) has "high moly content".

I might be over tinking all this but we have cold winters and hot summers here in WI so I'm looking to do what is best for the engine. I'm 33 but old school when it comes to cars. Ilike taking the time and doing things right. So....other than moly and I know it is a loaded question what is really making one better that the other? who makes hond oil now. I though I read that like other additives in oils moly is the fad. sorry for all the Q's just searching for info. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back