How often you you do throttle cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first saturn SL needed it every few months, but I think the throttle blade wore into the bore a little. It was sticky, and being a stick shift, I found myself blipping the throttle to unstick it before letting up on the clutch. Once cleaned, I could lift the clutch slightly then give a subtle amount of gas to take off more smoothly.

Other saturns of the same design needed it way less, once a year or even less. I used brake cleaner but now, being super cheap, I use a paper towel and "suspect gas" that may have water in it that I drained from a snowblower and don't really know how to get rid of. Wear nitrile gloves of course.

I need to do a real good TB and IAC Valve cleaning on my wife O1 Lexus RX-300. Anyone have any tip on this particular vehicle, please comment.

The engine starts fine, idles fine, passes traffic fine and excelerates fine. But, step on the pedal to do a WOT and it's only fair. The engine doesn't bog down nor want's to quit but, it's not what it should be. It's like it can't breath well. Something is missing(not a miss in the engine). Nothing you can hear/feel. Tranny kicks down, exceleration picks up but, not where it should be. It's as though some butterfly valves aren't opening all the way so that the engine can breath. Or something is restricted. No one that I demonstrate this for can tell there is anything wrong, just me. Because I know where the performance should be. TIPS PLEASE!

Start with the double dosage of strong PEA cleaner *before* even looking at the throttle body opening. It could be something else but then you will need to get more data.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Start with the double dosage of strong PEA cleaner *before* even looking at the throttle body opening. It could be something else but then you will need to get more data.

- Vikas

Done this on several occasions with no change

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's what my older car's throttle body looked like the other day. I cleaned it for what was probably the first time in many, many years.

My Ford Freestyle is pretty notorious for problems with the TB (also the Five Hundred). Basically, if the bore gets dirty it causes the butterfly valve to not quite close, which sends wonky readings from the TPS to the engine computer. The end result is a very slightly fluctuating idle...and this leads to the wiper-controlled film to develop a wear spot. Once the computer-controlled film gets worn, the TPS is toast. The problem is that the TPS is integrated into the TB! Ouch...

I knew this when I got the car, so I've taken to wiping out the bore right before each oil change, and pulling the TB off and cleaning it every 30K. I've over 100K, no TB problems.

In cars without a specific issue like this, I've done it every 100K or so.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I need to do a real good TB and IAC Valve cleaning on my wife O1 Lexus RX-300. Anyone have any tip on this particular vehicle, please comment.

The engine starts fine, idles fine, passes traffic fine and excelerates fine. But, step on the pedal to do a WOT and it's only fair. The engine doesn't bog down nor want's to quit but, it's not what it should be. It's like it can't breath well. Something is missing(not a miss in the engine). Nothing you can hear/feel. Tranny kicks down, exceleration picks up but, not where it should be. It's as though some butterfly valves aren't opening all the way so that the engine can breath. Or something is restricted. No one that I demonstrate this for can tell there is anything wrong, just me. Because I know where the performance should be. TIPS PLEASE!

Go over to club Lexus first generation RX. Lexmex did a thread on how to adjust the throttle cables. I did it on my 01 following his advice, worked well for me. What octane fuel are you using?

- Vikas

Done this on several occasions with no change

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Char Baby, I doubt your problem has anything to do with the throttle. It sounds like you have a high end problem - either a clogged fuel filter, restricted exhaust, or poor fuel pressure. You should start a new thread on this problem.

Hmmm! Never thought of the fuel filter

Forget it, it`s in the tank.

Lexus 114,
Im using 93 octane but I notice no difference with 87-89-91 octane. The 93 octane gives me the best MPG by a small margin. Not consistantly though so...

I may adjust the throttle cable. I am familier with this and have done it on other engines with no difference in throttle responce. We'll see!

This summer I have some issues to take care of such as rotted P/S lines and tranny cooler line don't look any better either. I want to take care of any line that is looking too rusty for my comfort.

I also want to drop the tranny pan and change the screen/gasket as I have only done many drain/refills over the past 10 yrs.
Also want to clean the TB and IAC valve as I really have a hunch that this is the true issue mainly because the engine really does run well except for the issue I mentioned earlier w/good MPG

Last edited:
These motors are kinda weird though. Sometimes I`ll kick mine in the butt on the highway to get moving,and the VVTI acts like a low pressure turbo. Other times it`s flat. I dont understand it myself.

But too, the fuel filter is not only in the tank but, it's quite large and would take alot to plug it...More than I will ever be able to do in it's lifetime.

The fuel we use un NYS is just a clean as anywhere in the nation as all stations now have new tanks put into the ground around 2000, 2001 othewise they would have to shut down and many did as the cost burried them.

Last edited:
You probably can check the fuel pressure, intake vacuum, OBD-II parameters etc easily with cheap enough tools. This way, you would be going in more logical way to solve the problem.

There is of course well honored method of blindly replacing parts. On a ten year old car, those parts needed to be replaced anyway, so go for it :) But do start a new topic, we all love to play Sherlock Holmes on internet.

- Vikas

Last edited:
You probably can check the fuel pressure, intake vacuum, OBD-II parameters etc easily with cheap enough tools. This way, you would be going in more logical way to solve the problem.

There is of course well honored method of blindly replacing parts. On a ten year old car, those parts needed to be replaced anyway, so go for it :) But do start a new topic, we all love to play Sherlock Holmes on internet.

- Vikas

Are you talkin' to me?...Are youuu talkin' to meee?

Not sure if you are refering to my issue with the RX and starting a new thread?
smile.gif

I will start a new thread with my issue(RX-300) but, I just want to see if I can cure the issue inexpensivly on my own without the help/cost of the dealer. Not sure, are you talkin' to me?

Why did someone say not to spray Carb/TB cleaner in tht TB ?

Because of the "coating" on the TB?

I have to clean mine every couple months.

Look on the forum at club lexus. You need to adjust the accelerator cable on the throttle body, for optimum performance. I've done it myself, and it makes a [censored] of a difference.

We also have diy's for throttle body cleaning, iacv cleaning, and maf sensor cleaning.

edit: didn't realize lexus114 already told u about the adjustment.

Last edited:
Ford used to have (may be they still do) some coating on the throttle plate. That's why it is generally advised to use TB cleaner sprays rather than using carburetor cleaners. The TB cleaner can will specifically state that it will NOT harm the coating.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Look on the forum at club lexus. You need to adjust the accelerator cable on the throttle body, for optimum performance. I've done it myself, and it makes a [censored] of a difference.

We also have diy's for throttle body cleaning, iacv cleaning, and maf sensor cleaning.

edit: didn't realize lexus114 already told u about the adjustment.

I will certainly give this throttle cable adjustment a try! Looks to be an easy start to things. If this cures my lack of WOT responce, I may leave the rest alone til another time especially since I have a ton of other things to do this summer besides working on vehilces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back