Matrix oil filter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whomever tightened your filter needs a knuckle sandwich.

I had my friend do a few oil changes for me, and he wasn't familiar with how the Gasket on a Hastings seals... he put them on a little tighter than hand, and had a world of a time getting them off later. He broke a strap wrench... So the new rule is.. just a little past snug... and check for leaks.

PO says the last oil change was at a Firestone franchise in WA, he had taken advantage of a $19.95 coupon while he was in WA. He did not keep the receipt.
I guess it seemed like a 'good deal' at the time :-(

I know this is stupid question, but are you sure you're turning it the right way? It just sounds way to tight and hard to believe it won't come loose with 100 ft-lbs or torque.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I know this is stupid question, but are you sure you're turning it the right way? It just sounds way to tight and hard to believe it won't come loose with 100 ft-lbs or torque.

Lefty loosey Righty tighty.

I had the same problem getting it off our 2010 Vibe. Broke the spot welds on the filter socket. Ended up using a large pair of channel locks and it took everything I had to break it loose.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Hows this saga coming along my friend?

Don't have the time to get to the welder right now, may have to wait for the weekend.
I wonder if an impact wrench may be gentler than heaving on a breaker bar (at this kind of toque). I thinking that the BB puts side torque on the housing, where the impact wrench is all rotational?

It's a good thought... both have their draw backs.. the breaker bar being the heavy strain.. and the impact being the hammering action. Considering the shape you're in.. I might dial the impact to a more gentle setting and let it tap away for a bit... With the Impacts though, they have been known to "Bust up sockets" that were not made for them.. That said I have been guilty of using a non-impact grade socket on the Impact gun because there weren't any other plausible options at the time.

Here's a thought . Wonder if taking a bag of ice and holding it around the oil filter would cause the dreaded SHRINKAGE . Making for easier removal . Like that of putting a ring finger under cold water to slip it off easier . If so , may want to wear some winter gloves . Keep us updated and best of luck .

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
What about a lowly panetrating oil? My suggestion is Kroil.

Would penetrating oil get past the 'O' ring seal (that prevents oil getting out) ?

Not sure about Ice, as the threaded part of the housing sits deep in the engine casing. I don't think the coolness would transfer much. But I do have some ideas along those lines...Later.

Probably wouldn't be any colder than those frigid days of winter . Cool it a little while and then put some penetrating oil where the seal / block meet . Maybe it'll constrict enough for the oil to get in between . Repeat if needed . Let us know how the experiment goes . Good Luck .

Last edited:
Expat, I'm not sure what the filter cap is made of on the Scions/Matrix, but from some pictures I've seen it looks to be plastic. Is that right?

My wife's RAV4 has a cartridge filter as well, but it uses an aluminum filter cap. If it is in fact plastic or aluminum, the cap should be brittle. If it were up to me, I would score the cap and hit it with an air chisel to crack it off.

The cap or Filter holder is black plastic.
I have been held up, as far as progress is concerned. I got my welder back from a 'Buddy' out of Gas
mad.gif

I will try to keep the holder cool, then start the engine to let the engine oil get hot. My hope is the aluminium engine side filter housing will warm and conduct heat quicker than the plastic housing, and (perhaps) give me some advantage.

No Air chisels just yet.

I just use a oil filter strap wrench with shop a shop towel between it and the housing, ofcorse the correct socket would be best

IT"S OFF!!!

I Beefed up the cap tool this morning with lots of weld, looked like a grade school welding project, but what the heck.
Put a bucket of rags in Brine in the freezer last night.
I epoxy-ed the modded cap back on to the housing, when set I wrapped the cap and plastic housing with freezing brine rags, while heating the Aluminium part of the housing with a heat gun.
After about 10 minutes, One BIG heave (with a cheater bar) and she popped loose :)

I know it sounds strange, but I REALLY want to that you guys on this thread for moral support and kicking Idea's around.
I honestly felt I was not quite so alone in this.

Plus I know that if things had gone badly, you all would have chipped in to help with the repair costs ;-)

thumbsup2.gif

Don't over-tighten the cap back on after changing the cartridge filter, but don't have the cap too loose to fall off while driving either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back