A/T fluid for GM 4L60E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had great luck in my 4L60E (1996 Roadmaster wagon) using Dex VI. I do a lot of towing as well and it performs great (5600lb travel trailer). I do have a large aux. cooler for the trans.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Dexron-III does not exist and in fact many of those products that claim Dexron-III are not the most recent originally approved formulations so they could be anything. Will your transmission fail if you use one? Try proving it and good luck with that!

I really wish you would stop with all of this fear mongering and trying to scare people into only OEM certified fluids. Your claims about DexIII and other older fluids not being as advertised are just ridiculous. Unless you have specific proof on a specific fluid that claims to be DexIII that is actually not up to the rating you are just blowing hot air and speculating.

I know you are very smart aboout these fluids but this continued claim of yours gets really old. I hate it when people start throwing out the "proof" request but I think in this case it applies. Put up or shut up. Show us these claimed DexIII fluids( or ATF+3 or any other obsolete fluid rating )that are being sold currently that actually do not live up to the claim of what they are or stop telling people that is what will happen. How about you show us just ONE that does not live up to claims?

Unbelieveable.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Dexron-III does not exist and in fact many of those products that claim Dexron-III are not the most recent originally approved formulations so they could be anything. Will your transmission fail if you use one? Try proving it and good luck with that!

I really wish you would stop with all of this fear mongering and trying to scare people into only OEM certified fluids. Your claims about DexIII and other older fluids not being as advertised are just ridiculous. Unless you have specific proof on a specific fluid that claims to be DexIII that is actually not up to the rating you are just blowing hot air and speculating.

I know you are very smart aboout these fluids but this continued claim of yours gets really old. I hate it when people start throwing out the "proof" request but I think in this case it applies. Put up or shut up. Show us these claimed DexIII fluids( or ATF+3 or any other obsolete fluid rating )that are being sold currently that actually do not live up to the claim of what they are or stop telling people that is what will happen. How about you show us just ONE that does not live up to claims?

Unbelieveable.
33.gif

So you are trying to tell all of us that since GM has pulled the license on DexIII that all these companies that made it continue to follow the exact standards GM called for when it was licensed? OK I will buy that, a company would never deviate from a formula to save a buck now would they, they will continue to make an old product for less profit. Seems to me like you are trying to push DexIII on the OP when DexVI is far superior in every way shape and form. Do you have stock in DexIII or something? I will give it to you that the chances are that someone changed the formula are slim but the fact is they can and you would never know it, why take that chance, just buy DexVI and call it a day!

Just use Dex VI and you'll be fine. Your trans is not one of the types that has issues with it, and it is significantly better in every way possible.

Originally Posted By: disturban
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Unbelieveable.
33.gif

So you are trying to tell all of us that since GM has pulled the license on DexIII that all these companies that made it continue to follow the exact standards GM called for when it was licensed? OK I will buy that, a company would never deviate from a formula to save a buck now would they, they will continue to make an old product for less profit. Seems to me like you are trying to push DexIII on the OP when DexVI is far superior in every way shape and form. Do you have stock in DexIII or something? I will give it to you that the chances are that someone changed the formula are slim but the fact is they can and you would never know it, why take that chance, just buy DexVI and call it a day!

I am not trying to push anything on anyone. I have simply told the OP what his tranny is spec'd for and told him he can use either DexIII or DexVI or even a universal fluid showing either spec. I fail to see how that is pushing anything? I have said again and again not to worry so much and just pick a fluid that meets at least the DexIII spec and he is good.

I just don't have the paranoia some here do about under handed and crooked oil companies that cut corners every chance they can who will put out fluids claiming to meet certain spec's when they don't. IMO if the company puts DexIII on the bottle it at least meets the spec. I also don't believe that you have to buy a mfg certified fluid to actually get the fluid you are after.

To each his own.

How much ATF should I purchase?? Obviously I'm going to remove the pan and change the filter. Please keep in mind, this is NOT going into the vehicle it came out of, so it's going to have cooler lines and a cooler to fill up. No idea how much fluids actually stored in the valvebody, clutchpacks, etc. Will 8 quarts be enough?

Originally Posted By: KenO
How much ATF should I purchase?? Obviously I'm going to remove the pan and change the filter. Please keep in mind, this is NOT going into the vehicle it came out of, so it's going to have cooler lines and a cooler to fill up. No idea how much fluids actually stored in the valvebody, clutchpacks, etc. Will 8 quarts be enough?

A normal pan drop on a 4L60E in a truck takes about 9 qts. With new lines and a cooler to fill probably what 12 +/-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back