Tried a new oil today

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuel economy is highly correlated with HTHS of oil..I would continue with redline oil just change the viscosity to 0w-30 or 5w-30..stick with ester based oils

saaber1, I found so far M1 0w-40 to be the best of the oils I have tried with Castol Syntec 5w-40 being the worst. Right now I am experimenting with M1 ESP 5w-30 and I clearly hear a difference in the engine. The engine runs significantly quieter compared to all the 40 weight oils I've tried including M1 0w-40. As far as performance, I'm still judging that.

My goal is to prevent 5,000 valve cleanings and attempt to extend it to 15,000 invervals because that is how severe my impact is. I change my oil ever 5,000.

I doubt this will have a major impact on valve deposits. Still a good oil, and you should keep using it if the motor like it.

BTW, for those wondering, Lexus takes a hybrid approach with DI -- they have two injectors, one of which is like non-DI and helps keep valves clean, the other is the primary injector.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ikolbyi
saaber1, I found so far M1 0w-40 to be the best of the oils I have tried with Castol Syntec 5w-40 being the worst.

I am most interested in the Syntec 5W40 statement.

Do you have a UOA or something that shows the oil did poorly? What made it so bad?

I have a 2011 Audi A4 2.0T and the dealer uses Syntec 5W40.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back