Oil advice for 2011 KIA Sorento EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased brand new last fall. It is a 2.4L AWD EX model. Driving habits are 85% city driving and 15% highway. Used for short trips in the city (20-30 minute drives once maybe twice a week...lots of stop and go). Live in Ottawa, Canada so temperature can range from 26 C (80 F) to 30 C (86 F) in the summer and from -10.8 C (12.6 F) to -30 C (-22 F) in the winter. Driving style easy and sometimes hard. I've only have approximately 2,500 miles on the odometer (approx. 4,000 km).

According to the Kia Sorento owner's manual:

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS AND CAPACITIES

These lubricants and fluids are recommended for use in your vehicle.

Lubricant Volume Classification
2.4 Engine 4.6 l (4.86 US qt.)
API Service SM*3, ILSAC GF-4 or above

Temperature Range for SAE Viscosity Number

Temp. C -30 -20 -10 0 10 20 30 40 50
F -10 0 20 40 60 80 100 120
(0F - 120F)
(-22F - 120F)

For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the emgine oil of the viscosity grade SAE 5W-20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not availale in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart (above).

Just to let you know I've already got an oil change done and I used 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (not EP) purchased at WM.

Your suggestions and/recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward PP Platinum.

I'd go for M1 AFE 0w20. API SM and readily available.

Truthfully any 5w20 is probably sufficient. If you get whatever's on sale it would only be $5/qt or so.

Last edited:
You have chosen well, PP is good as well. you could go with 5w30 also. I would recommend any of the Dexos equivalents ie. M1,PP,Synpower. You have a very good oil in now so no real need to change brands, just some thoughts. I would probably run 5w30 but that is just me. Good luck and Welcome!

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd go for M1 AFE 0w20. API SM and readily available.

Truthfully any 5w20 is probably sufficient. If you get whatever's on sale it would only be $5/qt or so.

+1

The bulk oil at the Hyundai plant was Quaker State. Im not sure if the Kia plant uses the same oil or not.

On my mothers Hyundai we use conventional because we have to change it every 6 months (2,500-3,000 miles) for the warranty anyway. Ive been using QS because its the cheapest name brand locally and occasionally the dealer changes it when I cant get to it (they use QS).

Thank you for your suggestions/recommendation. This past weekend I purchase 5->5 liter jugs of PP on sale at Walmart (sale price of $28.97 per 5 liter jug which is about 4-5 bucks for a quart).

Normand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back