Internal engine pic 71 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
although i dont use pennzoil anymore because of the price i will say i have seen with my own eyes that with pennzoil ultra a 1996 olds v6 went from very dirty to pretty clean in one year i also saw pennzoil ultra clean up a 1999 nissan that looked pretty scary... I will say ultra cleans very very well i have never seen another oil clean so well ...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I notice a crack [or hair ]on the second from left rocker. It also may have a small accompanying crack on the opposite side.

It was a piece of lint from a paper towel. The original gasket stuck to the head in a few places. So I used a paper towel to prevent pieces falling in while i scraped the remnants of the gasket.

Here is a pic of the car in question in case anyone was interested.

IMG_0261.jpg

I had a '74, White w/ox blood vinal top & interior. What a cruiser! Had a similar look to a Caddy Coupe deVille. Especially yours with that split pea soup green.
smile.gif

Old guys I worked with told me that Quaker State became "Quaker Sludge" back in their day. They would still avoid using the stuff long after the API made tests significantly harder to pass. This picture does an excellent job to disprove them.

That is a really, really nice car!

Love big 1970's cars in their original colour and trim.....

I have always appreciated owners who kept the car original...so many get modified when they get to 10-20 years old that by 40 years later, no original ones are left. That Chevy looks great - just like Chevy intended when it left the plant.

Nice!

Last edited:
Nice car! IMHO, I consider the '71 - '76 GM full size cars to be some of the best cars ever made.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have seen this happen before usually the push rod comes out and hits the rocker in a really bad way as you see in the picture another reason could be on an interferance engine the timing belt or chain broke and a piston hit the valve at the same time the push rod was in the lift position opening it. The chevy 350 is not an interferrance engine

The Chevy 350 isn't an interference engine? I thought if a small block Chevy running at anything above an idle had the timing chain jump it was pretty much a guarantee that it would bend valves
confused2.gif

Whether it is interference on not depends on the lift of the cam. If the cam can open the valve(s) enough that they occupy space that the piston will occupy at TDC, then it is an interference engine.

Some SBC's may have small enough cams in them that even if a valve is stuck wide open the piston won't touch it. This would make it non-interference.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Whether it is interference on not depends on the lift of the cam. If the cam can open the valve(s) enough that they occupy space that the piston will occupy at TDC, then it is an interference engine.

Some SBC's may have small enough cams in them that even if a valve is stuck wide open the piston won't touch it. This would make it non-interference.

Gotcha - thanks for the explanation!

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Gotcha - thanks for the explanation!

You are very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back