Coolant change procedure for 07 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory service manual suggests use of a vacuum tool to presumably remove any air pockets after doing a coolant service. Can I simply drain and fill the radiator and overflow reservoir, then top up coolant as required until the level no longer drops? I believe the vehicle has its original fill of coolant at 88k, so this should have been the second change by now (60k, then every 30k). Perhaps a radiator drain & fill will not be sufficient? Should I opt for a flush instead?

Last edited:
A flush with the machine is extremely effective if done properly.

Be very cautious as many vehicles have elaborate procedures relative to coolant replacement, failure to follow them may cause damage.

The six cylinder Altimas of that era are notorious for trapping air; the low radiator and lack of a bleed valve make them hard to burp unless the front end is lifted. I don't think flushing vs drain and filling is going to make any difference, but a Lisle funnel is a cheaper alternative to the vacuum tool.

if it is a 4 cylinder it it is especially a major PITA to bleed. Nissan gives a special procedure. They want the nose of the car 3 feet off the ground and keep engine @ 2500 RPM for 20-30 mins.

It's a 4 cylinder.

So, after draining & filling could I just jack up the vehicle and let it idle at operating temp w/ the rad cap on and just monitor overflow tank level, topping off until the level no longer drops?

i have a 2005 altima 2.5L 4cyl. when i drained coolant and refilled couple years ago I had no problems just filling the radiator and overflow tank. I think the whole special tool special procedure is a bunch of b.s. with the intent of scaring you to have the dealer do it.

nose of the car 3 feet off the ground & engine @ 2500 for 20 minutes... your funny.

OK, when you do these time and time again, and it fixes the customers issues, then you will see what i'm saying. They dont make up these things for [censored] and giggles.

FWIW, you will have little to no heat at idle if you do not follow this bleed procedure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back