Sump Temp vs Bearing Temp (HTHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMorg
I would think that oil on the cylinder walls/piston rings and on the exhaust valve seals would be at the hottest temps that an oil would experience. I expect that the temperature at these locations would be much higher than in the sump or bearings.

I also expect that the graphs above are on a fahrenheit scale.

An excerpt from the Mobil 1 presentation I linked to above:

Screenshot-wwwexxonmobilcom-AP-English-Files-about_who_Mobil1_supersyn_engpdf-GoogleChrome.png

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Have you searched the technical papers at sae.org? It can turn up some interesting abstracts, such as:

"Temperature distributions on the surface of a connecting rod big end bearing were measured to understand the margin to the allowable limiting temperature. The results show that the temperature difference between the bearing surface and the feed oil is independent of the engine load but quadratically increased with the engine speed, ...

The graph of any quadratic formula is a parabola. I guess they are saying the temperature drops on a steep curve before rising on a steep curve as engine speed rises.

Bob
Have you read through the XOM link you provvided?
I stopped reading after the 5th typographical error, and second completely wrong piece of information.
If they cannot publish advertising for their own product correctly,how good could the product be?
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
Bob
Have you read through the XOM link you provvided?
I stopped reading after the 5th typographical error, and second completely wrong piece of information.
If they cannot publish advertising for their own product correctly,how good could the product be?
Steve

I read it some months ago when I first found it. Typos I usually see but just continue reading. Completely wrong info though? That often depends on point-of-view.

the first completely wrong item I cam across was in the diagram of the oil bottle: Zn/Phos provide low temp protection. I was set on fire on this board for saying Zn/
phos contributed anything less than high temp protection. The other inaccuaracy was the picture of the engine with varying oil temps listed in f when it should be C, as someone already pointed out. Even when you look at it in F, it doesn't make sense-inside oil temps less than ambient?
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back