XR650L owners here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here, posting for the first time. I've got a 2008 xr650l with about 3400 miles on it. I've ran Honda GN4 and changing it between 500 and 1000 miles up until now. The dealer told me to wait until I hit 4000 before switching to synthetic. I'm wondering if anyone here has the 650l and what brand and weight of synthetic they run. I've heard good things about Amsoil but not totally sure which way I will go. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Previous 2003 owner here.

I ran shell's 5W-40 synthetic rotella t in mine with no ill effects.

Dealer is smoking crack.

I have heavily modded XR 650L I use Rotella 15w40 and change every 500-1000 miles. My OCI is dependent on my Road/Offroad use.

Mine is setup 90% dirt 10% road, basically like riding a dirt bike on the street... good times.

Last edited:
I had a '97 XR650L, bought new, kept it pretty much stock aside from a mod to eliminate the stupid emissions plumbing hanging off the side of the motor. I went straight to Mobil 1 15w50 after the 600 mile oil change. Usually changed every 1500 miles, always w/ a new filter (usually a cheap STP or Fram from AutoZone).

I rode very little true dirt single track tails, but lots of gravel and dirt roads. Overall maybe 50% on pavement and 50% off pavement. The bike loved the Mobil 1 for the 15,000 miles I owned it. Probably could've gotten away with Rotella 15W40, but with the small oil capacity, it wasn't a huge expense using the synthetic stuff.

Last edited:
Hi,

1.) The dealer is nuts. If and how long to run a petroleum oil before using a synthetic is a controversial subject and likely there is no scientific study or definitive answer. My OPINION based on what I have seen with several new bikes and what I hear: I would say it is a good idea to run petroleum through at least the initial break in period. There seems to be some subjective evidence that petro oils may allow quicker break in. I have always run about 1,000 miles or so. With such a program I have always had a "tight" engine and Zero oil consumption, even at higher mileage....so apparently it is not a bad plan! I would doubt there is little to be gained by going 4K vs 1K. MOST of the break in occurs in the first couple of hundred miles.

2.) I owned an XR650L for a couple of years (wish I had it back !) For what ever it is worth, I used Mobil 1 20W-50 or Mobil 15W-50 in the summer. It seemed to me that the engines temps in that motor were on the high side....it seems to run pretty hot by my way of accounting. I think a substantial oil is needed in the summer in that bike. In the winter, I used
several different brands of 10W-40... including Amsoil and had no issues of any kind.

3.) Based on what I have seen on here and heard other places and having used Amsoil, I think you will find it is a very good oil; I highly doubt you would be unhappy with it. There are lots of other good oils out there too. Shell Rotella T-6
would seem to be an excellent WINTER oil for that bike.

73 & Good DX.

Hi, Blaze.... I agree with you. My XR650L seemed to run very
hot, and it was properly jetted. A time or two I took some casual rides around then neighborhood in shorts and air coming off the
engine/cylinder was so hot it was uncomfortable on my legs. That is about the hottest air cooled bike I have been around. It was reliable and trouble free....but hot. I thought it was a clear case for 20W-50 in the summer.

Regards....

RC46_Rider
You can get an dipstick oil temp monitor gauge for these. I know some people have fitted a external oil cooler on them too and brought the oil temps down Join the XR forums for pics-info etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back