2011 HD StreetGlide FLHX fluids change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. Just purchased a new Streetglide about a month ago, and recently did the 1000 mile fluids change. It has the 103" engine with an oil cooler. Went with Amsoil. I've owned a number of Harleys in the past, but this is the first one I've went with Amsoil in. Went with the 20W-50 syn. in the crankcase, Supershift ATF in the primary, and 75W110 Gearlube in the tranny. Any comments? Anyone else using this setup? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the ATF is somewhere in the 15W to 20W range. The Harley Davidson recommended fluid is Formula+ and it is in the 50W range.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

For my Harleys, I use Mobil Delvac 15W-40 in the primary chaincases.

Just my comments. Not trying to tell you what to use.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
The Harley Davidson recommended fluid is Formula+ and it is in the 50W range.

Good question on the Supershift ATF in the primary. Amsoil recommends the MCV 20W-50 and says "99851-05 Formula +" = MCV 20W-50 Engine Oil. Who recommended ART?

I ordered everything through an Amsoil dealer. Here are some excerpts from an email -

"The ATF is a natural choice since the clutch is very similar to the wet clutches in the lock up torque convertors in automobiles and nearly all the aftermarket clutch manufactures for motorcycles spec out ATF to be used with their clutches. The 20w 50 will work fine, but if you want positive hook up and better shifting you can’t beat the ATF period. For the tranny you can use the 20w 50 if you wish, but most bikers want the gearlube trying to mask gear noises, especially in your 6 speed tranny."

"I would use the 20w 50 in the engine and our ATF supershift in the primary, but the 20w 50 will work good also. In the tranny I would use the 75w 110 gearlube. If you want simple though our 20w 50 will work fine in all 3 holes just like in your 88."

First, congrats on the new scoot. SG's are sweet machines.
I don't run the same setup as you; I've run Amsoil before when my dealer did my 1k service for free, but have since moved on to other things. In the last 4 years I've run:

Engine- HD360 dino, Amsoil, Redline, M1 15W-50, M1-V Twin, Syn3, and Valvoline VR1 racing dino. Finally settled on VR1 dino based on positive UOA's in other TC Harleys and considerably less valve tick than with synthetics.

Primary- Syn3, Amsoil MCV 20W-50, Redline MTL, Formula+, and Rotella 15W-40. Ran Formula+ for 3 years till last oil change as it always gave the best clutch feel for me. Switched to Rotella last oil change as it's 1/4 the cost & clutch feel is identical to F+.

Transmission- Formula+, Amsoil gear lube, Syn3, Redline Shockproof Heavy, and Spectro Platinum 6-speed transmission oil. Settled on the Redline SPH as it quiets the tranny 5th gear whine the most and has the least amount of debris on the drain plug.

You'll probably try all kinds of oils looking for that perfect combination- most of us do. Enjoy the quest and most of all enjoy the new bike!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back