Which oil for high mileage 1997 Cherokee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an oil to run in a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee. Its a 4x4 rig, so it will get up in temps a bit. It has 211,000 miles on it. Im unsure on the maintenance previously. Manuals say 10w-30. But I was wondering should I run a high mileage oil, or maybe something else with an additive?

Maxlife is what my neighbor runs in his 2 Jeeps, both 4.0 motors. 10-30 at anywhere from a 4,000 to 8,500 mile interval, but never much more than 12-13 months at a time. No oil related issues at all, and things look clean enough from the fill hole viewing spot.

He did a head gasket job on the 2000 Cherokee a couple years ago... think it had about 120k on it. All moving parts were fine and clean, but there a few spots of black gunk/sludge in low flow nooks and crannies. Nothing that would worry me. He usually used the OCOD or whatever filter was on sale at the time.

Your favorite brand 10W40 would work fine. Bit a better choice would be one of the Rotella oils either the 15W40 or 5W40. They are very robust oils. The 4.0's will run just about for ever with most any oil but I have found they are quieter with a 40 weight.

Ive got Quaker State 10w-40(current API SN) and a FRAM PH8 in and on the 4.0 in my Beloved 01 SilverStone Metallic, and she loves it. Though I think she has liked all the oils Ive poured in her Oil fill hole.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Ive got Quaker State 10w-40(current API SN) and a FRAM PH8 in and on the 4.0 in my Beloved 01 SilverStone Metallic, and she loves it. Though I think she has liked all the oils Ive poured in her Oil fill hole.

I have a 2000 Silverstone Metallic.
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

I guess what I was asking is what oil AND is there something that would help it not "burn" as much or leak as much? I know a leak is a leak, and she doesnt smoke ( but Im sure some is being burnt ), but thought maybe there was an additive that would help.

None the less, thanks a ton!

Also, I seen at my work we have Castrol 10w30... Would that work? And if so, then well, free oil

Last edited:
Added: I was wondering if you ( or me in this case ) could add say 3 qts of Max Life ( to help swell seals that are a little leaky ) and say 3 qts of standard 10w30 to help thin out the high mileage oil?

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Added: I was wondering if you ( or me in this case ) could add say 3 qts of Max Life ( to help swell seals that are a little leaky ) and say 3 qts of standard 10w30 to help thin out the high mileage oil?

No need to swell the seals if there isn't a leak!

Even though the book says 10w30, I've put my 4.0 on a diet of 0w30 in winter and 5w30 in summer; it has helped with the lifter tick that developed around 90k and the UOAs I've done indicate no issues from using the 0w.

But since you've got a free good quality oil at work, I'd go with that.

Last edited:
Oh yah Jeepman, bet you got a nice XJ. Ive got 30s(YOKOHAMA GOELANDAR M/T) under my SilverStone, but without a lift. My new 33x10.5R15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains and American Racing Black steel wheels should be here on Tuesday at Discount Tire. Im still trying to decide what brand lift to give her. Thinkin Ill pick the good from each company. Rubicon Express front 4.5in coils, Deaver 4.5in leafs rear with Rancho 9000 shocks.

I'd try a few runs of Maxlife or Pennzoil High Mileage. Probably in the 10w30 flavor, unless 5w30 was spec from the factory.

If those do not help the oil leak, then no need for an oil with seal conditioners. I'd then run Rotella 10w30 or T6 5w40 for it.

I have a 97 4.0 cherokee daily driver with 177,000 miles on it. Maxlife stopped the small leak that I had. The pure one pl30001 large size oik filter made a noticable difference over all of the other filters that I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back