Bosal vs. Walker catalytic conv for Subaru Foreste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's car; 2003 Forester 2.5 with automatic 130,000mi. is throwing a p0420 code. Wife took car to dealer, wants 1200 bux to replace catalytic converter. I can get a genuine Subaru cat online for 510.00, RockAuto has Walker for 329 and Bosal for 320.00 or 418.00 with the more expensive one being legal for sale in California. My question to you is what are your experiences with the above manufacturers. Is there some significance to the California converters? Is it worth the money for genuine Subaru? Or is the more $ Bosal the same thing.

Please discuss and share your experiences with catalytic converters.

Thank You,

California converter is build to a higher efficiency or durability to meet the CA emission law and any state that follow CA emission law. It is likely to have more restriction and/or more precious metal. If you only need it to pass emission in Central VA, you are ok running the cheaper one.

I just got one on the Vibe because of the same code (also replaced both 02 sensors at the same time). I ended up going with an Eastern Catalytic one over a Walker or Fisher. Was originally going to go with a Bosal but when I went to buy it from RA it came up not available. Very happy with it (Eastern one I got).

IMHO, a cat is a cat for federal emissions.. a CA cat is a CA cat.
I think the only state close to CA's ridiculous emissions standards is new jersey?

I'm interested in this also. My '01 Impreza throws the same codes every few months which will kick on the CE light for a week or two before it'll go away for another few months. It's been doing it for years.

Using a handheld scanner, there is always a P0420 code stored in the system but not enough events to turn on the CE light, so there is definitely something going on. I can't get the O2 sensors off without dropping the cat, and if I'm going that far, I might as well just replace it and never have to worry about it again. I've got $200 worth of O2 sensors that have been sitting in my storage cabinet waiting to be installed for over two years now.

My only concern, like the OP, is if replacement cats from the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are a good product. I'd rather not create another problem.

Used a brand new Walker on a Tacoma and it was bad but we got it replaced within a week. Walker handled it directly not Rock Auto. Overall it worked fine & we were pleased. I'd pick the better warranty personally.

Replace the post cat O2 sensor and clear the code. If it comes back then think about replacing the cat.

I had the same code and once I replaced the post O2 sensor everything went ready and passed smog. Been that way for close to a year.

Good luck! Bill

Originally Posted By: Trav
Eastern makes very high quality cats.
Check this one out.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/catalytic_converter/subaru/forester.html

I got my Eastern direct fit cat from there (Auto Parts Warehouse). Rock Auto had it, so I priced it with a 5% off discount code, then added shipping. APW has a price guarantee. They beat the RA price (including the discount, and including shipping) by $11. I was pretty happy, I expected them to just match it.

They also had a form on the box to fill out to get some money back for your old cat (prepaid shipping label included). I got $20 for my old one, about a week after mailing it.

Thanks for all the input. I looked up Easter Catalytic Converters and called them. It's made in the USA! So, I have decided to order the Eastern converter from Rock Auto. I also got the Denso post cat O2 sensor. Total just a little over 300 with shipping. I'll post again after it arrives and I install to let you guys know how it looks and works. Thank you all for the input.

-Dinosaur

Thanks for all the input. I looked up Easter Catalytic Converters and called them. It's made in the USA! So, I have decided to order the Eastern converter from Rock Auto. I also got the Denso post cat O2 sensor. Total just a little over 300 with shipping. I'll post again after it arrives and I install to let you guys know how it looks and works. Thank you all for the input.

-Dinosaur

I would say that you should also replace the upstream O2 sensor as well. If it is a bit sluggish, it will not only affect your mileage, but I believe the PCM also compares readings from the front to the rear, so if your front sensor is bad, you could still get the code.

Good call on staying away from Walker cats... Our shop has had a fair amount of trouble with them.

Follow up: Installed the Eastern cat and downstream Denso sensor this morning. Eastern cat looks like a quality part. Only difference is that the original Subaru heat shields won't fit, and the rear flange has slots instead of holes. So had to use washers on rear flange bolts and only have the smaller heat shields that are welded on new converters. Working great do far, now to find the threads discussing OBD-II scanners/ code readers so I can turn off the check engine light.

Oh yeah, the original cat actually had about a fourth of the substrate missing. No wonder the wife complained of rattling.

Thanks for all of the input.

-Dinosaur

Originally Posted By: Dinosaur

Oh yeah, the original cat actually had about a fourth of the substrate missing. No wonder the wife complained of rattling.

How did that happen? If you do not find out it could happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back