Oil recommendation for '91 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie to DIY oil changes looking for some suggestions. I have a 1991 Camry 5spd 4cyl with 150k miles. I use it to drive to the subway during the week, about 1.5 miles each way and some occasional short trips on the weekend. Should I aim for a 5w-30? Are synthetics or high mileage oils worthwhile? Previous owner was pretty consistant with his changes, although I don't know what he used. Any thoughts?

Welcome to B.I.T.O.G.
If the car does not use or leak any oil i would use a quality 5w30 pretty much anything with a sm or sn rating i use conoco phillips at the shop but there are a lot of good choices
valvoline, pennzoil, super tech, and quaker state to name a few...
If the car has leaks and or burns oil than i would use a high mileage 5w30 like i do in the summer i use Maxlife hm or pennzoil hm whatever is on sale they both work great...

I agree, take it for a little drive every now and again. Once a week take it out for 15-20 minutes on the hwy. Also change the oil pretty frequently with having short trips all the time. You are one of the few people where the 3000 mile oil change interval wouldn't be a bad idea to follow.

Originally Posted By: Ringo
I vote for M1 0w30
every 6 months

Overkill IMO
I hada 92 model 4 cyl I used whatever 5-30 I happen to be using a the time, which was Castrol GTX. Sold the car with 160K to a high school kid in town, he took it to 190K at which point it was totalled by a truck

So, would you guys say I should focus more on time between changes seeing that it could take me a year to put 3k miles on it?

IMHO: If it takes you a year to put 3K on your car just change it & the filter once a year when the weather gets cold, and virtually any SL, M or N 5W-30 should work like a charm.

If you can keep it from rusting out, pass the NY State vehicle inspections and avoid any accidents it should only last another couple decades... Or three!

You do need to take it out once a month and get the oil up to operating temp for a while: Rochester to Buffalo ought to do it.

Cheers!

p.s. If I even put 3K on the 1st '88 420SEL in a year I'd probably do the same: as it is, I usually let it go close to 5-6K and just change it then. I'm running 8 quarts of 20W-50 dino Havoline right now. The mild Pacific NW weather and a garage keeps me sleeping soundly at night.

Previous owner told me it has spent all but the last two years in Florida and Missouri, so maybe that will buy it a little more time before the salty winter roads here eat it up!

Prior owner changed oil 5 months and about 3k miles ago. I'm thinking I'll change it now and maybe again when it gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back