timken vs precision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy front hub assemblies for my z. I just don't know which brand to go with. I've priced out both and prices are similar. Anybody have experience with either brand? I know timken is a well known brand, but I've heard there quality has gone down on some of there products. Precision I've never heard of oriellys sells them. Thanks in advance guys.

Never heard of precision - sounds like a house brand to me. I would opt for one made by SKF, Timken or Fischer AktienGesellschaft (known by the three uppercase letters).

I bought 2 front Timken wheel Hub bearing assemblies from rockauto this month. One from Autozone came in a box that said "made in U.S.A. The one form rockauto "made in Korea." Hopefully same quality but...

Yes they are. Precision and National both, from what i gather Precision is using BCA/Bower bearings and National bearings from Timken. I was reading Federal Mogul is now making hubs under the Moog name also so I'm not sure where the Precision brand fits in the hierarchy. Their U Joints were once absolutely top shelf but have slipped in fit and finish dramatically.

JMHO but it seems when a company gets taken over the new company tries to live on the name while either lowering the quality on certain parts somewhat or reboxing.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I bought 2 front Timken wheel Hub bearing assemblies from rockauto this month. One from Autozone came in a box that said "made in U.S.A. The one form rockauto "made in Korea." Hopefully same quality but...

No doubt that Timken corporate requires both plants to meet the same quality specs. Whether they do (or can) is an entirely different proposition.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes they are. Precision and National both, from what i gather Precision is using BCA/Bower bearings and National bearings from Timken.

Trav, there is a Precision Universal Joints under the Federal Mogul umbrella that appears to only make U joints:
http://www.federalmogul.com/en/AftermarketSolutions/NorthAmerica/SteeringSolutions/Brands/Precision/

And, there is a Precision Bearing Company that includes hubs in it's product line. It is NOT tied to Federal Mogul:
http://www.prec-auto.com/about?content_id=9 It looks like Precision Bearing is a supplier/repackager vs. being a manufacturer.

I'm betting that the Oreilly product is from Precision Bearing, not Precision Universal Joint. "If" true (?), I would favor the Timken product of the two choices.

I know that National/BCA is tied together under the Federal Mogul group. Not sure what you meant by "National bearings from Timken"?

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out i got it mixed up from your link National uses BSA as you say, i was reading something about Precision using Timken bearings but who knows.
I never heard of Precision Bearing so you may be right they could well be just a repackager.

I would go with the Timken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back