What could cause a cartridge filter to "twist"

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCN4294.JPG

Media, being paper, gets soaked in oil and becomes a tad pliable. The cartridge lid that houses the cartridge has a bit of applied pressure onto it and so you get this phenomenom. It's not so much of a "twist", but a "wave" like scenario. Perfectly normal. As long as the media holds and doesn't tear then I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Last edited:
It looks like it did twist. Maybe when everything expanded, like others said above, the ends of the filter had nowhere to go lengthwise, so they rotated to compensate for the increased length of the pleats.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Is this a screw on cap or the style where the bolt goes through the middle?
Maybe twisted tightening or loosening the cap?

That's what I was thinking as well. One end got stuck while the other end was being turned.

that filter was removed ~1300 miles while going through Auto-RX rinse cycle #2

a related question, i just removed a filter from the same car after about 5000 miles and the plastic endcaps had cracked and there was even more twisting. any thoughts on that?

I've had cartridge filters with the screw-on cap (2.2 GM Ecotec) twist on installation because of the force of the cap torquing on the filter. Lubing up the ends of the filter with oil before installation solved this problem.

I think the twist might happen during removal, when the ends are stuck to the housing after being compressed against it for months. In that case, no big deal at all. I'd do a test install on the next one if you're concerned that it's happening on installation.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I noticed this on my Mazda when using non OE filters. Mazda has feltwashers on the ends of the filter

I've had minor twist on a few OE filters after removal. Nothing like the threadstarter's pic though. I do oil the felt before installation. The filters I've used have much smaller pleat gaps than that, so I imagine they're a bit stronger in torsion.

I used a non-OE filter (Supertech) for the first time on my last change and I was concerned about this since it was a little taller than the OE ones I've used. So I test installed it and removed it right away to make sure it was okay. It was. No twist or deformation at all. It appears to be good quality, with similar pleat count and torsional stiffness compared to the OE filter, and similar endcaps and felt washers, so I was willing to give it a try since it was 1/3 the price. I have seen other aftermarket filters with about 2/3 the pleat count of the OE design. I avoided those.

I had a Purolator that looked worse than that after 4300 m.So I sent it back to them and Got a letter back saying it was fine. They soon changed the design to a center core. Filter length might have something to do with it also.

This was a know issue with the 2.3L Fusions, etc. with older PureOnes (before the center core). I always used Wix or M/C, and lubed both ends...never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back