Dodge Paint Fade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was behind a current model Dodge Charger today and the car had the typical dodge paint fade. It was on the rear pillar that goes from the trunk to the roof and along the rear of the roof. How can this even be possible? All these years and Dodge hasn't figured it out yet? My wife had a Stratus (98) when I met her and even with me waxing it the POS got the typical dodge paint fade.

LOL, I had a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and how many of those have you seen with the faded hood and roof. It is ridiculous. In FL any paint will fade but I know what you mean. I really think It just takes love and care from day one in FL when you get ANY vehicle.

Maybe the hot sun?

I find owners who don't even bother to care for their cars quick that pretty quickly, regardless of brand....

I've never had an issue, even with my daughter's 99 Cherokee that has NEVER been garaged (and hardly even washed by the previous owner). And its even bright red. Wife had a 93 Eagle Vision (dark green clearcoat)- no issues. Folks had a 2000 Durango, metallic gold, no problems.

On the other hand, a friend has a 94 Ram (blue) that got the typical early-90s clearcoat cancer when it was about 10 years old. He even sanded the hood down all the way, re-painted, and re-clear-coated... and the cancer came back after about 5-6 years. I can't understand how completely stripping the hood and re-priming and painting with aftermarket paint could NOT have solved that, but it didn't!

FWIW, I don't really think its brand-dependent at all. Its paint manufacturer (and maybe even lot number) dependent.

I have a 99 Chevy. It was in Tampa sun outside all day and no cover nights from 99-04 and since it's garaged at night and parking garage during day. It has absolutely no paint issues what so ever today and never has.
I've seen all different vehicles/brands with paint fade. Usually the older the more I see but I see 10x more dodge products then any other vehicles and it's not because there are more dodge vehicles on the road or they are lasting longer. It just completely disgusted me today looking at a vehicle that had to be 06 or newer with paint fade.

Last edited:
I remember late 80's Dodge trucks built in Mexico with terrible clear coat oxidizing problems. Talking clear coat flaking off after two years. But I've owned lots of new Mopars since and have never had paint issues, even in sunny California.

Never happen if you got a GM:
hoodpeel.jpg

401774_mballard_weathered.jpg

Oh....nevermind.

It does surprise me that a new Charger is doing it already. My '97 Dakota had paint problems bad. Most of the roof had flaked off and the hook was starting. I repainted the hood myself, and that held for about a year, and it started flaking again. I remember reading that the primer they used had no tack. The primer coat was still fine...and even thick and durable. But the color coat would flake off. Even after I scuffed it real well.

Dodge recalled the red Dakotas from that year. They'd either repaint the whole truck or buy it back from you if you wanted.

I think some of the best paint I've ever had was on my '97 Cadillac Seville. That stuff was incredibly durable, and still full of luster after 13 years, when my brother finally traded it off.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Well. There's a pretty big difference in a car from 06 and one from 86.

The GM dark blue paint coming off in sheets was in the '90s. The GM white coming off in sheets was a problem for a long time. I've seen the white on a '99 Tahoe coming off.

The GM blue was the worst though. Within a couple of years you would be missing large patches of paint

Seems like a lot of cars had problems with their white paint for a long time.
Just to be fair, here's a Mazda.
100427-01.jpg

I've even heard reports of a round of Lexuses (lexi?) that had bad paint. (promptly corrected by Lexus of course)

My white Chrysler has great paint. Maybe the GT (and Dream Cruiser) get better paint than regular models.
21.gif

My sister-in-law's early 2000 Jeep Cherokee is bright red and the paint is in great shape with no fade. It spends half it's time in open weather....sun..etc....and the other half parked under a carport.

The 97 Ford F150 I used to own looked just as good when I got rid of it as the day I bought it, back in 2001.

I take far better care of my Mazda's finish than I do the Chrysler.

I've polished/waxed the Chrysler maybe 3 times since we got it in '05. (lightly used w/4000 miles). Once with Zymol Cleaner wax , once with ICE liquid polish, and once with Eagle One Nanowax. So 3X in 6 years, two of which were Turtle Wax products.

Plus, before the big sales oriented evil empire banks started consuming the smaller service oriented banks which left my wife jobless in a market flooded with other operations directors, my wife would park on the top floor of the parking garage. Left the car exposed to the sun, rain, sleet, snow, ozone and whatever else all day because the top floor had the parking spaces closest to the elevator.
33.gif

I asked her many times why she just doesn't do like the other ladies and wear walking shoes and carry her heels in her bag and park in the protected area. Preferably closer to the security station on the lower deck. She is of the opinion that walking around in professional attire in walking shoes instead of heels is undignified.

HPIM0716.jpg

Bad picture. But you get the idea. Still glossy all over. No fade. No chalking. No big chunks of missing paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back